Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Former Symphony Pro user looking for new notation app

Re: Former Symphony Pro user looking for new notation app

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:07 pm

The staff would have to be displayed a lot larger. All the styluses I've seen are almost as large as a finger.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby mac jones » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Symphony pro had two aspects to it that made it highly conducive to finger/stylus entry.

1) Crosshairs
2) single click palettes.

The two and three click palettes of Notion desktop works fine, but if we all were to vote on this, what would you imagine the outcome would be?

The crosshairs made note entry really easy even with huge fingers (or pens). As a matter of fact, you can use virtually anything to get the notes on there. Brilliant.

Now, since the lovely app Symphony Pro is as dead as Elvis, Notion should just rip off all of this and make us happy.

Don't you think? :D
mac jones

Postby Wawoodman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Bill,
My stylus is a Kensington, and it's comfortably shaped like a nice pen. The tip is about 1/4 inch, maybe less.

In Symphony pro, the staff was bigger, yes. But, if it wasn't big enough, it could be enlarged further with the standard spread gesture. Notion doesn't do that, though. It should.

I could easily expand a 2 staff SP display, to show about three measures for layer one/layer two entry, tapping in with the stylus. I know it's not perfect, but if I want really simple, see it all at once, I'll do it on my 27" iMac. Notion or Symphony Pro on an iPad, for me, is nothing more than a way to keep busy when I'm away from the computer.
Wawoodman

Postby lemeurt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 am

wcreed51 wrote:You must have tiny fingers!

Lol, I'm using a stylus and with a little zoom, not input on staff is perfectly usable and very quick.
lemeurt

Postby Composed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 am

Admin wrote:We can assure you that we are dedicated to developing and delivering the best notation app for mobile devices. We are not in the position to comment on Symphony Pro's development as an app or a company, but we can assure you that we are in this for the long haul:)

I wish this were completely true. So far as I know, the "mobile devices" do not include mobile devices running the Android operating system.
Composed

Postby Wawoodman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am

Twenty years ago, I was a Mac user. There were tons of apps for Windows computers, but when we asked about developing for the Mac, we were told, "just not enough users to make it economically feasible."

The worm turns. When there are enough Android users to make it so, it will happen. Until then, you can live with it. Or buy an iPad. Just like I bought an eMachine, to get what I wanted back then.
Wawoodman

Postby Composed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Well, I'm not trying to start a debate of one OS over another, and I'm a little uncomfortable with where this is heading. All I'm tying to do, as a long-time loyal Notion software customer, is urge our friends at Notion Music to consider serving a very substantial market of current and future Notion software customers.

But to engage on the substance of the point just made, I've been seeing news reports in the last few days--one on CNN just a couple of days ago, for example--that the Android OS is now outpacing the iPad OS. So, if the worm turned, I suggest that it may well turn again <g>.

Anyway, I just think that there are very compelling economic reasons for Notion Music to finally listen to its loyal customers who have been asking for an Android version for over a year. Can I afford an iPad? Sure. Does it make sense to buy one just to have one app? Maybe, but wouldn't it be better to make ALL of Notion's customers happy?
Composed

Postby mac jones » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Composed wrote: finally listen to its loyal customers

For the life of me I don't see the attraction. I have an Android device and there aren't any apps at all for it, especially in music production. Yet, people say things to the contrary.

But in the end It's really it's like the Apple/Windows dichotomy I guess. You take one side and trash the other.

So here I am trashing Android. Makes sense right? :)
mac jones

Postby Wawoodman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm not trashing anybody. It's the Catch-22: you can't get the app if there aren't enough users, and you can't get the users if you don't have the apps.
Wawoodman

Postby JasonRain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 am

They closed up shop without any goodbyes or explanation leaving everyone hanging. Nice of them.
Hello!I am JasonRain.I like play games.Like theseRunescape Gold,GW2 Gold,Diablo 3 Gold and RS Gold which I often buy
JasonRain

PreviousNext

Return to Notion for iPad