Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Comparing notation layout. Are there tweeks to fix this?

Comparing notation layout. Are there tweeks to fix this?

Postby slipperman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 am

So, I'm getting more familiar with the Notion for ipad. There are some basic things that I really can pass through without understanding if there are possibilities to adjust these behaviors. As an example I have compared a simple Eighth note funk1 as it is presented in Notion 3 (left image) and my own attempt to create the same bar in Notion for ipad (right image).
Image Image

Voice input: Kick on voice 4, snare on voice 2 and hihat on voice 1.
Observations (with respect to the ipad attempt):
1. I can not make a quarter note for the snare on the 2rd and 4th beats without entering pauses on 1st and 3rd beats.
2. The note stem for the snare is not aligned to the note stem of the high hat for the same beat
3. The pause for the kick drum end up below the kick drum note entries

These three things would basically be the difference between a clean and a cluttered layout. Are there any setup or entry changes that can be done in the Notion for ipad app to make it resemble the N3 layout?

//Per
slipperman

Re: Comparing notation layout. Are there tweeks to fix this?

Postby thorrild » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 pm

You're making the notation too complicated. You need only two layers. When a hi-hat and a snare are hit at the same time, enter them as a chord. Here is one way of achieving the result you want:

1. Enter all hi-hat eights with x note heads, in layer 1.
2. Put the green cursor back on beat 2, change the entry switch from "Melody" to "Chord" (at the far left of the entry pad).
3. Add an eighth-note snare head to beat two, so that it appears as a 2-note chord on the same stem. Do the same on beat four.
4. Add accents and "open hi-hat" circles to the appropriate notes.
5. Switch to Layer 2 and enter the kick notes and rests.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Re: Comparing notation layout. Are there tweeks to fix this?

Postby slipperman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:18 pm

Super!

That clear most of it except the odd place of the kick rests. Then I guess the only features to wait for in the Nfi would be to get the needed flexibility in the number of bars per row and the pad for the foot hihat (as far as I can see anyway. After that it will completely fulfill the requirements for my drum notation needs. Thanks,

//Per
slipperman

Return to Notion for iPad