Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

MIDI export: Problems with Drums

MIDI export: Problems with Drums

Postby robdean » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:45 am

I have done a lots of work with digital audio, but little with MIDI and I am new to this rather exciting app.
I intend to use the app to put together scores I can then export to MIDI as guide tracks for studio recording.
This would be fine, where it not for the fact that drum parts tend just not to work right when exported. I've read something on this forum about PAS drum mapping as opposed to GM MIDI drum mapping, but whilst that puts a label on the problem it doesn't leave me much clearer as to what I can do about it. I'm really puzzled as to why this would be implemented in a way which makes MIDI export so awkward.
I would really appreciate advice on how most efficiently to fix these files once I have exported them.
I would also love to know whether the app is likely to be updated to help users avoid this problem.
I really will appreciate any help the veterans here can offer to someone feeling a bit bewildered!
robdean

Re: MIDI export: Problems with Drums

Postby robdean » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 pm

UPDATE:
Could somebody please post the default Notion drum mapping to help me set about fixing this? I can likely find a way to automate translation remapping to GM MIDI if I know the starting point, but manually figuring out the Notion values for every drumset sound would be a grind and would lead to mistakes.
robdean

Re: MIDI export: Problems with Drums

Postby robdean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:00 pm

It seems that this is really hard to do in a sophisticated way because inflections such as open hat or cymbal bell are not mapped to unique notes by Notion but flagged in some other way. The following XML seems to work in the free PC utility 'Midi File Mapper' to map basic Notion drums to General Midi:

<code>

<MidiMappingRules>
<General Name="Notion to GM" />
<NoteMap Name="Bass Drum" InNote="65" OutNote="36" />
<NoteMap Name="Acoustic Snare" InNote="72" OutNote="38" />
<NoteMap Name="Closed Hi-Hat" InNote="79" OutNote="42" />
<NoteMap Name="Ride Cymbal" InNote="77" OutNote="51" />
<NoteMap Name="Crash Cymbal 1" InNote="81" OutNote="49" />
<NoteMap Name="Crash Cymbal 2" InNote="83" OutNote="57" />
<NoteMap Name="High Tom" InNote="76" OutNote="50" />
<NoteMap Name="Mid Tom" InNote="74" OutNote="48" />
<NoteMap Name="Low-Mid Tom" InNote="69" OutNote="47" />