Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

First post - Why should I buy this app?

First post - Why should I buy this app?

Postby WhatCanISay » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi!

Have read a couple of posts.

Seems that this app has a lot of potential but is far from being mature enough to be considered as usefull, isn't it?
No pickup measure, just two voices, a lot of work and time just to delete a measure... So much limitations, so much feature requests unanswered...

Looks like working with this app turns out to be very frustrating quickly ? Isn't this app just "teaser" to get users to migrate to the desktop application to really be able to work seriously?

I just hope I'm wrong all the way so, tell me why should I buy this app to give it a try?
And what if I'm not happy with it? Will I have my money back?

Thanks for your help.
WhatCanISay

Re: First post - Why should I buy this app?

Postby thorrild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 am

Hi WhatCanISay,

My advice: If you have $15 to blow on an app that you are obviously intrigued by, then do it. If you fear wasting the money — and you have apparently read up on reviews, forum complaints, feature requests & such — then don't.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby WhatCanISay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 am

Hello. Thanks for your reply.

You're one of, or if not the most active user/product supporter on this forum and I read a lot of your answers to users questions/requests.

I'll ask you this: Despite all the limitations and bugs, are you still using this app? If yes, frequently or from time to time?

Btw, The app is 6.99 on the app store, not 15.
WhatCanISay

Postby thorrild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

WhatCanISay,

I do the majority of my work in the desktop version of Notion, and in other applications. I use the iPad app in combination with Dropbox storage, as a reference tool to check my files when I'm on the road or otherwise away from the full version of Notion. I would not be happy, or able to do what I do, if the Notion iPad app were my main music creation tool. However, I consider it amazing to have access to all my files, and to be able to make minor corrections, even when I'm not at my workstation.

Best wishes,
Thorrild

PS: How nice that Notion has lowered the price of the app! Buying it now would be even less of a financial risk, and you'd be able to see for yourself if the app alone would cover your particular needs.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby WhatCanISay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Ok. I see the complementarity between the desktop and the mobile app. Absolutly useful in that context. But I understand that note entry/edition is certainly not THE app's strehgth .

On my side what I need is sommething fast to create simple things to write down ideas and later import them in Logic Pro or Pro Tools midi engines for further work. So basicaly note entry and editing has to be easy and flexible. Notion wouldn't be my best friend then ? According to this review (http://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2012 ... pad-v-1-2/) it would...

And you Sir, never been tempted by Symphony Pro?
Last edited by WhatCanISay on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhatCanISay

Postby thorrild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

WhatCanISay wrote:never been tempted by Symphony Pro?

No.
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby WhatCanISay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Clear!

Was editing my post in the meantime. According to this review (http://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/2012 ... pad-v-1-2/) , Notion WOULD be my best friend.

Another cons for SP: the fonts don't look very good.

Ok. So I got the answer to my question why should I buy this app?

Thanks again for your help.

Driving to the app store right now.

To the Notion staff: congratulations and keep going on with updates.
WhatCanISay

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

WhatCanISay wrote:Hi!

Have read a couple of posts.

Seems that this app has a lot of potential but is far from being mature enough to be considered as usefull, isn't it?
No pickup measure, just two voices, a lot of work and time just to delete a measure... So much limitations, so much feature requests unanswered...

Looks like working with this app turns out to be very frustrating quickly ? Isn't this app just "teaser" to get users to migrate to the desktop application to really be able to work seriously?

I just hope I'm wrong all the way so, tell me why should I buy this app to give it a try?
And what if I'm not happy with it? Will I have my money back?

Thanks for your help.

First of all....4 voice support not 2.

Second...we are still actively developing this app and will be releasing a significant update this fall that will address many concerns (note entry process, editing, midi device compatibility and MUCH more). The discounted price is going to carry into the fall, so get it before then if you'd like to take advantage of the special.

Cheers,
-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby WhatCanISay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:50 pm

WhatCanISay wrote:...

Ok. So I got the answer to my question why should I buy this app?

Thanks again for your help.

Driving to the app store right now.

To the Notion staff: congratulations and keep going on with updates.
WhatCanISay

Postby WhatCanISay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Ok Notion is up and running on my iPad2.

Yep, suit my needs and more.

Entering/editing notes is easy and intuitive.

Scores creation is way more flexible than I tought it would be :) Once created though, it seems not possible to add/remove instruments, right? (feature request here) EDITED: My bad. Found it. Great!

In conjonction with Dropbox it's easy to share .mid files between Notion and Logic Pro wich wich is a "must work" for me. The only thing is, so far, imported midi file from logic don't play any sounds. Is there a way to make it happen?
EDITED: My bad again. It is working.

Feature request: Being able to save as midi file directly in Dropbox.

After an hour, I'm already productive with this app. I'm happy with my purchase. Worth every penny and much more.

Cheers!
WhatCanISay

Return to Notion for iPad