Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

nTempo for iPad

nTempo for iPad

Postby swexler » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello,

I am much more interested in using the iPad for live, human-controlled playback than I am for creating content using Notion. Any plans to add this feature so I can just bring an iPad and not have to lug a laptop to gigs?

Anyone else pining for this, or am I in the minority?

Thanks,

Steve
swexler

Re: nTempo for iPad

Postby thorrild » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 am

I am much more interested in using the iPad for live, human-controlled playback than I am for creating content using Notion. Any plans to add this feature so I can just bring an iPad and not have to lug a laptop to gigs?

Anyone else pining for this, or am I in the minority?

Yes, this is fairly high on my Notion/iPad list as well, and I have submitted it by email months ago, as a feature request directly to Brian at tech support.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, allow me to remind you that just adding NTempo will not make the iPad app usable for live applications. The app also needs a way to control all the NTempo features - not only tapping tempo, but dealing with repeats, vamps, fades, etc. Maybe the promised ability to use a MIDI keyboard for input will provide a stepping stone to som NTempo functionality down the road...

Another fairly obvious observation (forgive my lack of creative thinking this early in the morning): The iPad's playback abilities were, until the advent of the New iPad a couple of weeks ago, limited to a stated 14-16 simultaneous sounds. I have not tested the app's limits on the new iPad, which has twice as much RAM as the iPad 2, but even if it is better, I imagine there are still limits in this area. Implementing NTempo may not be seen as urgent by Notion Music until the day it can be handled without such severe compromises. But what do I know?...

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby swexler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Thorrild,

Regarding the vamp, jump queues, repeats, etc., I would think that the display of a small virtual keyboard would do the trick.

As for my particular needs, I want Notion to augment a live band and do not need that many simultaneous instruments. Indeed, this is why I want something that is small and portable and an iPad would be perfect.

Thanks for chiming in.

Steve
swexler

Postby thorrild » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

As for my particular needs, I want Notion to augment a live band and do not need that many simultaneous instruments.

There are, however, other users who require more oomph from NTempo on the iPad (me, at least). Why don't you just run Notion on a small laptop for your gigs? That works for me, and it isn't substantially bulkier than an iPad — just more expensive... And MUCH more capable.

I don't know if I would applaud yet another Notion feature that shows promise but isn't broadly usable yet. As we see from this forum, that approach tends to create unhappy customers.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby swexler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Thorrild.

>>Why don't you just run Notion on a small laptop for your gigs???<<

Because I have an iPad already, but I do not have a small laptop and would rather not have to purchase a new piece of equipment if I could just get this feature from Notion for the iPad.

But... I will probably go the lap top route.

Steve
swexler

Postby thorrild » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am

Dear Steve,

I am glad to hear that you, like I, are beginning to accept that despite all our most fervent desires that the iPad should be our new laptop and do everything we expect of a "real" computer, it isn't, and it doesn't. Yet, at least.

But there's always another model coming, in juuuusssst a few months; maybe that'll be the one... ;)

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to Notion for iPad