Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

XML importation

XML importation

Postby ghilfman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm looking for a stable iPad app primarily for importing XML files from Finale. I've read a couple posts re: problems with XML files. Any thoughts? tia Greg
ghilfman

Re: XML importation

Postby choirguy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 pm

ghilfman wrote:I'm looking for a stable iPad app primarily for importing XML files from Finale. I've read a couple posts re: problems with XML files. Any thoughts? tia Greg

What are you trying to do? If you export a Music XML file from Finale and e-mail it to yourself, you can open mail on your iPad and use "Open it" to open the Music XML file in Notion on the iPad.

Or you could save the file in Dropbox, go to the Dropbox app, and "Open in" Notion.

Could you explain further about what you are trying to do?
choirguy

Postby jonljacobi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

It seems to work--okay. However, I have one file I exported from Notion on the PC and opened, and the notehead types were off on certain bars. I have no idea why. I have had difficulties with XML with Notion in general, though it remains my favorite notation program.

I haven't tried Symphony or Scorch so I can't tell you how well they do.
jonljacobi

Postby choirguy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:58 pm

I haven't used Notion for the PC, so I can't speak to that.

I can speak to exporting and importing from Finale to Notion for iPad and vice-versa.

Finale seems to import perfectly into Notion. Although they appear in the score, stylistic items such as ritards and fermatas have no impact on playback in Notion.

Notion doesn't quite import perfectly into Finale. Eighth notes that were barred in Notion separate in Finale. The initial font when importing is huge. This could be Finale's issue. Whenever you import anything into Finale, even an old Finale file, you're supposed to recreate the file and use the clip feature to import all the data into a new file that takes advantage of Finale's newest features.

Another trick I've been using is to save a MusicXML in Dropbox, open Dropbox on my iPad, and then open the file in Dropbox, then use the "Open In" feature to open the file in Notion. Works every time. Notion's own Dropbox download doesn't seem to work for me.
choirguy

Return to Notion for iPad