Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Single stave for lead sheet creation?

Single stave for lead sheet creation?

Postby jazzmeister1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Is there currently any way to create a lead sheet using only a single stave
Instead of treble and bass cleffs?

Thanks!
jazzmeister1

Re: Single stave for lead sheet creation?

Postby thorrild » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:16 am

1. Open the app.
2. Press NEW in the upper left corner of the "welcome screen" with the list of recent files.
3. Add an instrument of your liking.
If the instrument is traditionally notated on just one staff, then that's what you'll get.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby jazzmeister1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:39 am

hmmm...thanks for that...but, let's assume the "lead sheet" I want to make is
generic and not showing any specific instrument...it looks like this is currently impossible?
...ie. just want melody and chords with a single treble cleff stave...it seems reasonable that
the software could do this
jazzmeister1

Postby thorrild » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:57 pm

jazzmeister1,

Remember that Notion's market niche is playable notation, not just notation without playback. With this in mind, it seems perfectly reasonable that you are asked to assign an instrument to a staff; if you didn't, it wouldn't play back. And no playback is, I think, in the world of Notion, a pretty silly idea.

Remember also that the current version of the app allows you to add vocal staves. Since these play back using the standard Piano sample they might work for you as a "generic" staff.

And finally, keep in mind that although Notion forces you to choose some playback noise for a staff, you are free to change it to another instrument later on. So what's not to like?

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby jazzmeister1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm

thanks!...believe me, i am liking the look and feel of the app VERY MUCH so far---it feels pretty solid...Symphony Pro on ipad has been too unstable for me so far...I understand the playback-oriented approach of Notion..i'll try the vocal stave route.....maybe if there was just a feature to "hide stave labels" or something but still maintains the playback using the sounds selected??....or maybe have that as an option only when you go to print out the chart?? just looking for the ultimate portable lead sheet creator! :P
jazzmeister1

Return to Notion for iPad