Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Get rid of annoying TAB input and staff

Get rid of annoying TAB input and staff

Postby tjnyc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Greetings, I am horn player trying to write guitar and bass parts. I need to both input and score them with normal notes, not tablature (both players can read music)

I need 2 things:

1.) Get rid of the TAB staff that is added in the score.

2.) Input guitar and bass parts with the PIANO KEYBOARD. Having to input them on guitar frets makes as much sense as having to input violin parts with tuba valves. PLEASE somebody tell me how to turn this off, I'm about ready to lose my mind.

The software is very very promising, but needs some work and some better documentation too.

Dear Notion, you guys should really strive to get this thing awesome and make it a standard before Finale and Sibelius come out with something better, this is a HUGE opportunity for Notion beating them to the punch. Professional musicians everywhere are starting to see the iPad as a vital, useful music tool.

Thanks,

TJ
NYC
tjnyc

Re: Get rid of annoying TAB input and staff

Postby dhbailey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:28 am

Getting rid of the tab staff is easy -- hit the Settings icon, find the Guitar entry and then tap the blue circle with the > in it and you get to a different screen, at the bottom of which are three possibilities for the music -- one is staff plus tab, one is tab only, one is treble clef staff only. If you tap the treble clef only icon that's what will appear in your score.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to change the note entry method to the piano. However, a workaround would be to create the staff as a different instrument, one that uses keyboard entry, and then once that staff is how you want it, change the instrument to guitar by hitting the Settings icon, scrolling to that staff and then hitting the blue circle with the > in it and tapping the Change Instrument icon to change it to a guitar staff.

While I understand your frustration with the guitar staff entry method, I don't think it's quite the same as your analogy about violin entry using tuba valves. After all, a fret-board is how guitarists get around their instrument. I do wish that the entry method was switchable between fretboard and keyboard, though, so that people who know what guitar notes they want but who don't play guitar and thus don't know where the notes are on the fretboard can still enter the music. But for now, at least changing the guitar instrument to a different instrument for note entry and then changing back when you want to listen or when the project is finished is a workaround.
dhbailey

Re: Get rid of annoying TAB input and staff

Postby trueblue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 pm

dhbailey wrote:Getting rid of the tab staff is easy -- hit the Settings icon, find the Guitar entry and then tap the blue circle with the > in it and you get to a different screen, at the bottom of which are three possibilities for the music -- one is staff plus tab, one is tab only, one is treble clef staff only. If you tap the treble clef only icon that's what will appear in your score.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to change the note entry method to the piano. However, a workaround would be to create the staff as a different instrument, one that uses keyboard entry, and then once that staff is how you want it, change the instrument to guitar by hitting the Settings icon, scrolling to that staff and then hitting the blue circle with the > in it and tapping the Change Instrument icon to change it to a guitar staff.

While I understand your frustration with the guitar staff entry method, I don't think it's quite the same as your analogy about violin entry using tuba valves. After all, a fret-board is how guitarists get around their instrument. I do wish that the entry method was switchable between fretboard and keyboard, though, so that people who know what guitar notes they want but who don't play guitar and thus don't know where the notes are on the fretboard can still enter the music. But for now, at least changing the guitar instrument to a different instrument for note entry and then changing back when you want to listen or when the project is finished is a workaround.

dhbailey:

When inputting as piano and switching the instrument to guitar, does the app transpose to the correct octave (a small glitch in the current version of Progression for the iPad)?
trueblue

Return to Notion for iPad