Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Differences between Notion 3 and Notion for iPad

Differences between Notion 3 and Notion for iPad

Postby JonnyLost » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello,

I have Notion 3 for my Macbook Pro and I'm thinking about getting an iPad. I'm also thinking about buying Notion for the iPad. I can't seem to find a comparison chart anywhere that demonstrates what the differences are between the two programs. Is the version for the iPad a "light" version? When I buy the full bundle of sounds from the App Store, do I have then entire library available for Notion 3 or is this only a select set of samples? I hope that makes sense.

If the iPad version is the same as Notion 3, I will probably use the iPad as my main compositional tool, as I'm looking for a more portable way to compose (I know, more portable than a Macbook is weird to say!) :-)

Thanks for the help.
Jonathon Cox
JonnyLost

Re: Differences between Notion 3 and Notion for iPad

Postby thorrild » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi Jonathon,

I've used Notion since version 2, and I've used Notion for iPad since the day it was launched.

I don't know what kind of composition you envision, but in almost all cases you'd be frustrated if Notion for iPad were your only software. It is definitely a subset of the desktop version, just as the iPad is a subset of a laptop. I would advise you to regard the iPad app as a sketchpad at best; a place for you to jot down ideas when you absolutely cannot get to your computer. I use the term "jot down" loosely. It is not as easy to enter music on the iPad as it is with a typewriter keyboard (with keystroke shortcuts) and a MIDI keyboard.

There is a long list of things that are not (yet) possible on the iPad, and I don't have the time to type them up right now, but here's a quick bunch of shortcomings, not in any particular order:

- The iPad can't play scores with lots of instruments. 12-14 instruments is the reported maximum before the sound begins to stutter.
- You can't enter lyrics.
- You can't adjust the size of the score on screen, and there's no Page View.
- You can't hide attachments (dynamics, articulations, etc.), although hidden items in a file created with the full version remain hidden when opened on the iPad.
- You can't export files as .wav files (yet).
- No MIDI input.
- Printing has been reported as being full of problems. No adjustments of page layout. I haven't tried it.
- Elements in the score cannot be adjusted: Titles, stem direction, slurs...

The upside to the iPad app is its price, and that you can add the entire set of expansion sounds for only $30. (The sounds don't work with the full version.) Remember that the app is only at version 1.1; it will certainly become better and better over time, just as the iPad is sure to become more capable and powerful from version to version.

Trust me, if you know and love the full version, you'll not be happy with the iPad version as its replacement. But you should shell out the small amount of money and give it a whirl anyway. It's really cool!

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to Notion for iPad