Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Saving issues

Saving issues

Postby philgardiner » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Just bought the Ipad version. Very promising. Keeps crashing though which I'm sure will be sorted but meantime..

How do I protect my work? 1st time I spent an hour entering info - when the app went poof and disappeared I reopened the file & it was completely empty. 2nd attempt I was 4 lines in and entering a note caused the app to stick on one note and hammer. After a reboot I still had 2 lines of music but the 3rd and 4th were gone. Can't find a save icon anywhere though I'm sure I'm missing something. I found 'save as' but this only asks me to type the whole file name every time..

Any help appreciated thanks :)
philgardiner

Re: Saving issues

Postby dhbailey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:12 am

I don't know if this is part of your problem, but how much room is available on your iPad? Mine has 6.5GB free and I haven't encountered that problem (knock on wood). The program saves my data automatically as I enter it, so that when I exit Notion and then re-enter, all the data I had previously entered is still there.

Good luck resolving the problem because Notion is an excellent notation app, especially for a first release!
dhbailey

Postby philgardiner » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks, yes I really like it. I have plenty of space and fortunately no crashes today - looks like there is no save button though, maybe it's not supposed to need one but I would think it would be a good idea.

I love entering the notes via the virtual guitar neck, I can rustle up lessons really quickly :)
philgardiner

Postby cftbl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:50 pm

I too have a lot of free space and am seeing both the random crashes and crashes where data is lost. I'd sure like to see this fixed.

For what it's worth, my work-around is to email the current state of the project at hand to myself periodically (circa every 10 minutes or so). This is easy enough, but really shouldn't be necessary. I also tried using the "Save As" feature briefly, but this created even more clutter than the "email auto-save".

Any other suggestions will be gratefully considered.
cftbl

Postby mvanwoerkom » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Aside from the stability issue, I think the save concept is a bit strange or at least different from what I expect:

From observation it seems that once I change anything in the editor it might lead to an update of the local data file, or not.
To be sure I need to save it or email it, which often enough results in the app bursting like a soap bubble, which makes it interesting to find out if it was able to persist its data or not in time.

So I need to save / email often to an external data storage to be sure I save my stuff.
Also I need to keep backup copies, as I can't be sure that I accidentally damage files while I play them (a slipped touch might change a note or two..).

This could be improved by explicit saves (ask if the local data should be touched) and user interface feedback that a save was successfully completed. At least that is the classical model of operation. Apple might have different ideas about the CRUD cycle. :-)
mvanwoerkom

Postby u8nc » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:52 pm

no probs here, the walled garden of the ipad means that there should be consistency and predictability amongst every unit worldwide, so if one iPad works fine, every other one should also behave

maybe:
have you got a zillion other apps still active in multitasking, and, does clearing them help?
if that doesn't improve things,
perhaps even a total shut down instead of a sleep
and a third level of restarting:
rewake by holding the power and home button at the same time for about 6 seconds.
u8nc

Return to Notion for iPad