Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion for ipad

Re: Notion for ipad

Postby tbabcock123 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm

This a a great program and I'm enjoying it a lot (I think it has more potential than Symphony Pro) BUT, I can't figure out how to copy and past items. This is something that the program is supposed to do.

From the help files within Notion for iPad: 'palette'; #3, 'Selection Tool'; "Use this tool to select sections of your score for editing/copy/paste or adding techniques....."

I can't seem to get it to work for copy/paste operations. I can select a section easily enough but then there are no 'copy/paste' commands in the resulting palette and if I try to double tap - or hold - the selection (to invoke a standard iPad copy/paste menu), the selection is de-selected.

What's the trick?

Thanks for the help!

-tom
tbabcock123

Postby drumcorpsinprogress » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:11 pm

I tried everything for copy/paste.
But I can't get it work.

So, come on Notion; what are we missing? :D
drumcorpsinprogress

Postby Sleepingangel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi just downloaded and I think it's really well done and I also appreciate the low intro price!! One question: will there soon be a way to use my external keyboard? Unfortunately, I write as I play with a lot of improv...I wish I could just input what I hear etc as I am not a trained musician...sigh...but I still enjoy composing even if it's not in the truest sense of the word....thanks so much
Merry Christmas
Maria
Sleepingangel

Postby sepheritoh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:30 pm

drumcorpsinprogress wrote:I tried everything for copy/paste.
But I can't get it work.

So, come on Notion; what are we missing? :D

The copy works with the select tool. It is a blue color boton on the tool bar.

1. First tap the note in the top left area you want to copy once. It should turn dark green.
2. Tap the blue select boton. The green should turn blue. If not, sometimes you have to tap the select buton 3 times. This is because if you left it in the select mode a previous time you first have to let it go out of select mode then tap it again to go into select mode. A bit confusing but you quickly get used to it.
3. Now you will see a blue dot in the botom right corner of the blue selector. Drag this to select the notes younwant to copy. At this stage you can copy max 2 bars at a time. I reported this as a problem.
4. After dragging the selector a popup will allow you to choose copy from the menu.
5. Now tap once where you want to paste. The cursor will be dark green.
6. Now tap and hold for abou half second until a paste popup pops p.
7. Select paste and smile 8-)
sepheritoh

Postby sepheritoh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 pm

tbabcock123 wrote:This a a great program and I'm enjoying it a lot (I think it has more potential than Symphony Pro) BUT, I can't figure out how to copy and past items. This is something that the program is supposed to do.

From the help files within Notion for iPad: 'palette'; #3, 'Selection Tool'; "Use this tool to select sections of your score for editing/copy/paste or adding techniques....."

I can't seem to get it to work for copy/paste operations. I can select a section easily enough but then there are no 'copy/paste' commands in the resulting palette and if I try to double tap - or hold - the selection (to invoke a standard iPad copy/paste menu), the selection is de-selected.

What's the trick?

Thanks for the help!

-tom

For copy and paste see above. I worked with symphony pro before Imgot this app. I will never even want to go back to it. Notion leaves anything I have seen far behind. The only place where symphony is better is the entering of lyrics, but that is a minor problem with Notion only. Symphony pro does not integrate well with anything else. Notion can do everything much better and sounds awesome, and copy to and from Notion 3 flawlessly.
sepheritoh

Postby sepheritoh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:07 pm

OK

For me, the only way to prove that a program works is to prove that it works in real life. Since my waking moments this morning I have been trying to do exactly that and have to say I am pleased with my findings. I orchestrated a whole song of 3 minutes today.

http://www.dog-on-blues.co.za/mp3/Exile ... 0exile.mp3

Everything execpt the piano and guitar was done today inside Notion on the iPad. The vocal melody is done with a flute, simply beacause expecting Notion to sing for me is not yet realistic. The basic proses was to first create the piano, drums and guitar parts in Band in a box by entering the chords in BIAB and exporting the results as MIDI. I imported the MIDI in Notion and added everything else. From Notion I transfered the results file through Wifi to the PC where I opened it with Notion 3 and simply exported to wav and converted to mp3.

It was that easy. No extra mastering etc was done, as I wanted to hear what it sounds like if I use the iPad only. For a final rework I will add nice vocals, add guitars from Realband, and master and mix in Sonar. You be the judge if Notion on the ipad can do a good job.
sepheritoh

Postby david » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:09 pm

sepheritoh wrote:3. Now you will see a blue dot in the botom right corner of the blue selector. Drag this to select the notes younwant to copy. At this stage you can copy max 2 bars at a time. I reported this as a problem.

You can copy more that 2 bars...just select the bars you can see, then scroll the page down so you can still see the blue dot at bottom right of current selection, then drag the dot down. Repeat this until you get to the end of what you want to select.

D
david

Postby david » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I am enjoying this program immensely. It really is a good idea done pretty well.

the one thing that tripped me up today was entering a dotted rest. It works differently to a dotted note (e.g. select crotchet, select dotted, play note) - but with a rest select crotchet rest, select dotted...nothing. I eventually worked out to just put a crotchet rest, then reselect the rest that is added in and then hit the dot.

D
david

Postby sepheritoh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:25 pm

david wrote:
sepheritoh wrote:3. Now you will see a blue dot in the botom right corner of the blue selector. Drag this to select the notes younwant to copy. At this stage you can copy max 2 bars at a time. I reported this as a problem.

You can copy more that 2 bars...just select the bars you can see, then scroll the page down so you can still see the blue dot at bottom right of current selection, then drag the dot down. Repeat this until you get to the end of what you want to select.

D

Are you talking about bars or are you refering to parts / instruments? I can copy as many parts as I want, but not more than 2 bars. When I scroll down to see the next bar of the parts I want to copy, the blue dot has disapeared from the screen the method you decribe only works if there are only a few instrumentss, but I have been working on a score with all symphony instruments.
sepheritoh

Postby david » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 pm

sepheritoh wrote:Are you talking about bars or are you refering to parts / instruments? I can copy as many parts as I want, but not more than 2 bars. When I scroll down to see the next bar of the parts I want to copy, the blue dot has disapeared from the screen the method you decribe only works if there are only a few instrumentss, but I have been working on a score with all symphony instruments.

Worked for me with 5 staves, 3 parts

The blue dot does disappear off the page as you say, but just stop scrolling, then scroll the page downward until you get more bars and can see the blue dot. You can then re-Grab the dot and continue dragging the selection again.

D
david

PreviousNext

Return to Notion for iPad