Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Problems with standard notation

Discuss Progression for iPad

Problems with standard notation

Postby mbagsh55 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I upgraded to the latest version (1.24) which resolved the playback issue on iOS - huge thanks for this.
I was also delighted that the ability to toggle the fretboard/mixer to hide was added, this is a great addition to the app for playback.

I realize however that I am in a minority of guitarists in that I favour standard notation over TAB and there are some problems with the latest version here.

1 - If you have a guitar with standard notation only, the fretboard disappears (the area goes white) when you select a note in the notation. The only way to get back to the fretboard is to is to toggle to the mixer then off then back to fretboard. If you need to do anything except just enter notes this becomes a fairly serious problem.

2 - If you enter notes in TAB or mixed (TAB + notation), then switch to notation for printing/playback the app shifts all notes down a full octave. The sounds which is played back is correct, but the displayed note is one octave lower.
There seems no way to shift the notes back that I can see.

Sadly these issues mean that while I can stil play existing notation files without problem entering new music for display in standard notation is now almost impossible.

Grateful if you can check the above and confirm if you see the same issue. I have tried reinstalling the application and have tested on the latest iOS patch (5.0.1).

Thanks,
Marcus
mbagsh55

Re: Problems with standard notation

Postby mbagsh55 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:50 am

Hi guys ,
A numer of views but no replies.

Can someone else confirm a simple test.

1) with tab and notation if you enter the bottom E on the guitar. You will see the 0 on the bottom of the TAB. In my case I se the notation incorectly showing the note in standard notation on a ledger line seven below the main notation.

2) if you choose a guitar with notation only (no TAB) again enter a bottom E, confirm it is correct, then change the settings to show TAB and notation - does the notation shift an octave?

Many thanks,
Marcus
mbagsh55

Postby JeffreyApolloBeach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:34 am

Hello,

I have the same problems as you do. The TAB for an open high E string displays in the correct spot, but the note in the notation staff displays an octave lower.

I like this app, and showed to my guitar instructor and he was very impressed with it, but he didn't like the scenario I described above.

Thanks.

Jeffrey
JeffreyApolloBeach

Postby JeffreyApolloBeach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 am

Hello,

I'm a newbie to music, and I'm trying to read as much about it as possible. I found this website that talks about the notes in a guitar. From what I understood reading the website, Progression is writing the notes in the "correct spot in the staff". But like the author says in the site, guitar music is notated one octave up, therfore that is why I was expecting to see the note in the notation staff to appear in a diffrent spot than where Progression placed it.

Thsi is the site I reference:
http://www.koniaris.com/music/notes/

Thanks.

Jeffrey
JeffreyApolloBeach

Postby mbagsh55 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Jeffrey,
Thank you for confirming that you can replicate the problem.

Regarding the issue of guitar music being displayed one octave different you can ignore this if you are using music written for guitar. The only time this is relevant is if you have music for another instrument.

It is a shame that this problem makes the the application unusable for notation. Prior to iOS 5, I was using the application regularly and it really helped my practice.

Fingers crossed Notion can make a new release that fixes these bugs in notation entry and display.

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi Guys,

This is Brian from NOTION Music. I was able to verify this issue in the app. I will be sure to report the issue to our development team. Thanks for all of your input as well as your patience.
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby JeffreyApolloBeach » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Hello,

Do you have an estimate on when this issue would be corrected?

Thanks

Jeffrey
JeffreyApolloBeach

Postby mbagsh55 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Brian,
Just bumping this thread to ask about an update since December last year.

Any roadmap on if/when this will be fixed in a future release, or has Progression for iPad development been put on-hold while work happens on Notion for iPad?

Thanks,
Marcus
mbagsh55

Postby trueblue » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Brian:

Has there been any word on a fix for this problem? This is something that I would really like to see fixed please....

Anthony
trueblue

Postby Kevinm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am

I noticed this as I started a new piece - the notation was an octave lower than expected. I couldn't figure out how to change it, and since I had just started, I deleted it and started a new one. The new piece showed the notation correctly. Bizarre.
Kevinm

Next

Return to Progression for iPad