Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Express Entry

Express Entry

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Should rules be able to respond to anything entered with express entry, or just things the show up in the palate?

For instance, my rule for sul tasto doesn't work, and I can't tell if it's the rule, or if Notion just doesn't respond to it at this time.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Re: Express Entry

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

OK, I answered my own question. BUT, it leads to another. Is there a list of what to call all the techniques in the rules. In the above example, the technique name as to be "tast" for it to work.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:35 pm

There is a file called ExpressionList in the Notion folder structure:
In windows - C:\Program Files\Notion 4\Support\Lists

This list provides definitions for how certain commands are processed in Notion, but, more importantly, it provides a list of expressions that trigger Notion rules. Each entry contains a line of code that provides the "start technique". For example, mute or con sordino has the following line:
<property key="sttc" name="Start technique">mute</property>

"mute" would be the rules keyword.

Please note that this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. This is just based on trial and error and digging into the Notion file structure.

To the admin, a list of techniques would be very beneficial as some of the IDs can be cryptic and difficult to follow.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks Philip,

Cryptic indeed!

So then, why are flags named differently then the technique (in the rules provided by Notion)?
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 pm

I don't see much of a need for flag rules with Group IDs. Flags are more useful in the context of instrument-ids when it's easier to set certain instruments to a group or class of instruments and then write a rule pertaining to that group or class.

For example, GPO has patch trills for section strings but playable trills for every other instrument. Instead of writing a different trill rule for every instrument that has playable trills, I could instead label those instruments under a certain flag and then apply a trill rule to the flag (instead of the individual instrument). This only really makes since in the context of Instrument-IDs.

Again, I don't see as much use for flag rules in the Group ID setting. I notice, however, that there are two flag based rules that are supposed to go at the beginning and end of each Group ID rule set (<if flag="main"/>). I suppose that the Group ID functionality still utilizes this syntax in some capacity, but I don't think end users need to be very concerned about it.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 am

That's what I was thinking, but noticed that Admin had flags in his sample Group ID rule. I suppose it could be useful in selecting articulations to match various techniques...
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I guess it would be silly to wonder why articulations don't have 4 letter names as the techniques do...
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Return to Custom Rules Discussion