Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

duration-change amount limits in Notion4???

duration-change amount limits in Notion4???

Postby dgriffee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 am

...there was a limitation in version 3 that the duration-change amount would only actually work for values less than one. Has this limitation been changed to support values greater than one in newer Notion4??

So for example if I wanted to make a rule that would do some legato kind of effect by making notes overlap slightly, I could have a rule like...

if-condition="slurred-release"
duration-change amount="1.02"

...which would (if it works) increase the duration of a note to 102% of its notated length, thus causing it to overlap slightly with the beginning of the next note.

Has anybody determined if this is possible in the new version? I vaguely recall hearing something about this, but not sure if it was only somebody's feature request or if it got implemented in Notion4?

Many sample lib instuments have very effective legato samples that can be triggered by slight tiny overlaps between notes, but in the old version of Notion you had to manually adjust individual note durations one note at a time, mousiie dragging in the sequencer overlay view (very tedious, hardly worth the hassle). So I imagine folks would be keen to take advantage if a rules based approach might now be possible.
dgriffee

Re: duration-change amount limits in Notion4???

Postby dcd111 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 am

Based on my own attempts, duration-change now works properly in Notion 4 for values greater than 1.0. I have been able to use it to trigger legato transitions under a slur.

One thing to note is that an end-gap modification rule will supersede the extended duration modification rule, even if the duration-change rule comes later. So if you have a default end-gap rule, you have to make sure it is only triggered in situations where you don't want to extend the duration.
dcd111

Re: duration-change amount limits in Notion4???

Postby dgriffee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks dcd111 :geek: ! That is great news and you saved me the trouble of having to do a bunch of experimentation to find out (the hard way) about the other important caveat per precedence of the "end-gap" rule-mod too!

I am working out some rules for EWQL's "Hollywood Strings" which have a wonderfully realistic "bow-change/slur/port legato" feature that would depend upon this to take full advantage of them in Notion. Their legato detects the rate of playing and so works great at any tempo, plus it alternately puts in the correct up/down/bowing changes versus fingered slurs, and actually does so exactly where it would be musically appropreate. I'll post what I come up with for that one as soon as I get it all working just right. In my initial playing around with these instruments, I am knocked out by the acheivement of a reeeallly "real" string-section legato that those guys (Nick&Doug) have accomplished.

I had a pretty good rule for phrasing a piano instrument via slur tests, and have wished for a long time that I could do something similar for these HW string legato patches, now apparently I finally can do so! Hoorray Notion4!
dgriffee

Return to Custom Rules Discussion