Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Systematic development of rules: GREAT but...

Systematic development of rules: GREAT but...

Postby iamnemo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:04 am

I think a systematic way of naming group IDs is a great idea but how these will be used with Shift-Y and what they will let us do with rules?

I'm new at rule writing and trying to write my first set right now for Albion I & III to start. I'm a theoretical physicist and I've been programming computers for over 30 years yet I have a hard time figuring out the partial and cryptic info about rules provided by Notion people.

A few questions about rules:

1) In the case of instrument-based rules are the instrument IDs assigned by the library manufacturer (e.g. Garritan) or Notion? For example who decided in GPO that cellos' ID would be 13060?

2) What is the appropriate use of the conditions such as "slurred-release" or "note-after-same"? Where can a table of definitions for these be found?

Suggestion: I understand that rules are provided "as-is" but why not hire a student for a few months to properly document these features and rules in general? Could even write a few packages for other libraries...

Custom rules are one of the best features of Notion and better use of them would increase the program attractiveness and reach. Just MHO of course.
iamnemo

Re: Systematic development of rules: GREAT but...

Postby pcartwright » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 am

The admin has said that Notion is reworking the original Shift Y idea, so, personally, I want to wait to see what the final outcome is before jumping into more rule sets.

Now, to answer a few questions. Notion developed the instrument IDs for the four supported libraries. I do not know if there was any rhyme or reason to the IDs or if the numbers were arbitrary. I'm not sure it matters one way or the other.

Slurred release basically refers to a note that is under a slur (specifically where the following note is under the same slur). Slurred attack would refer to a note under a slur where the preceding note was under the same slur. These conditions are very useful for a variety of legato rules.

I'm not sure we ever figured out (as a forum community) what note after same stands for. The descriptor of course makes it sound like the rule would be active if the next note of the same pitch were played; however, that condition alone doesn't seem to work.

Most of the conditions make sense, though. I'm sure you've already seen this, but documentation for Notion 3 and Notion 4 custom rules can be found here under the "other" tab (http://notionmusic.com/support/downloads.html).
pcartwright

Return to Custom Rules Discussion