Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Editing EWQL Rules: Is there a better way to do this?

Editing EWQL Rules: Is there a better way to do this?

Postby lazerlike42 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:26 pm

As I mentioned in a previous topic, I have encountered a problem with the EWQL lite presets. The way that Notion handles the rules, it goes through from top to bottom and follows every instruction that it encounters, not just the most "complete" one. For example, suppose someone has entered a slurred note with the lyrical technique. If the rules file has a rule that first says activate key switch 24 if the flag is vln1, it activates key switch 24. If there is a later rule that says activate key switch 25 if under a slur, it then activates key switch 25. If there is then yet a later rule that says if the technique is lyrical, activate key switch 33, it does that. If there is then after that yet a later rule that says if the technique is lyrical and under a slur, use key switch 28, it does that too, and is finally on the correct key switch.

This creates a problem, at least on my computer - a quad core 2.8 Ghz machine which should be high powered enough to handle Notion and EW about as well as any other. Basically, you get a very jerky, off-rhythm playback. Some notes don't play on beat, others play on beat but are cut short, etc. This seems to be caused by hitting 3, 4, or 5 key switches at a time in between notes - and it doesn't only happen with fast notes. For quarter notes in a row, or even half notes, can present the same problems at times.

Now I'm fairly certain it's all of the key switching, because when I edit the rules in such a way as to make sure a particular phrase is not being key switched to death (e.g., commenting out all rules except the one I want enforced), the phrase plays smoothly and as it should. My solution, then, has been to start a massive re-edit of the rules adding a long list of tests to every single rule to make sure only one key switch is ever activated per note. Each rule has a long list that looks something like this:

<rule>
<if flag="vln1" />
<if technique="lyri" />
<if not-technique="espr" />
<if not-technique="sost" />
<if not-technique="Qleg" />
<if not-technique="pizz" />
<if not-technique="snap" />
etc.
etc.
etc.
<keyswitch type ="note-on-prefix" MIDI pitch="33" Velocity="1" />
</rule>

Is there a better, faster, more code-wise efficient way to do this? Or alternatively, has anyone else run into this "jerky" problem and come up with a different way to overcome it (changing Play's settings, some kind of performance tweak to your system, etc.)?
lazerlike42

Re: Editing EWQL Rules: Is there a better way to do this?

Postby lazerlike42 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I forgot to mention: the articulation tests (rather than the technique ones) presented another problem. In the EW rules (and I can't think of a better way to do it), the first rule per instrument is always a "reset" rule which triggers the standard articulation. This way when an articulation like staccato swaps key switches, the rules reset the key switch to the standard one before the next note is played. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an "if not-articulation" test, because whenever I try to use one the rules file stops working.

The solution to this was to move all of the articulations to BEFORE the reset rule in the rules so that each time through, Notion will hit the articulations if necessary. Then, in each articulation rule, I set a flag called "artc." In all of the technique rules (and the reset rule), I then add <if not-flag="artc" />. The LAST rule per instrument always unsets the flag. This way, when Notion reads through the rules, the articulations will be switched to, and then none of the following rules will switch away from it. For example, if I have a staccato marking on an espressivo note, the espressivo rule doesn't swap away from the staccato key switch once it gets to it. The final rule at the end clears the flag so that if the next note has no articulation on it, it will correctly follow the reset and other rules.

Again, this is all very convoluted, time consuming, and not efficient programming-wise. Is there some better way I'm missing?
lazerlike42

Postby pcartwright » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:52 am

I've had some of the same issues with staccato notes with Miroslav, but I think the issue there may be more a matter of antiquated sample engine and not the rules files. Regardless, I think you're idea of putting the rest rule at the end of a chain of rules and including additional if-not statements may the most efficient method in terms of playback.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

lazerlike42,

I recently purchased EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, and I agree that the rules could use some tweaking. I'd like to assist you with your rules adjustments if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.
pcartwright

Postby achambily » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am

For my own, I found Notion just unusable with EWQLSO Gold despite the fact I have a very powerful machine (I7 with 8Go ram). I tried to set up a midifile with about 10 instruments and the result is awful to hear... (cutted notes, crisps and plops, drops out...).
I think it is due to the fact that Notion tries to load everything (full instruments) in ram, so when you change an articulation, you get a scattered result...
Notion, Cubase 7, EWQLSO Gold, VSL SE
Win7 x64, I7 Dell studio laptop, 8GB RAM
M-Audio FTP
M-Audio KeyStudio 25
Clavinova CLP 811
Sennheiser e840
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Yamaha HS50M

http://chambily.com/
http://soundcloud.com/axel-casadesus/sets
achambily

Postby pcartwright » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Did you ever try using JBridge? EWQL is unusable on any 32 bit system because of RAM limitations. I run EWQL orchestra on a Win7 64 bit 8GB ram machine without a problem.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:38 pm

hey lazerlike42, the admin has just created a place especially for sharing your custom Rules files (hint-hint)
http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewforum.php?f=24
I (and presumably many others) sure would be very appreciative if you would be so kind as to share your best resulting successes from the preceding endeavor, as it seems as if you are solving an important problem of processing (in)efficiency that may not have shown up in notion's QA since out of the box "it works" but apparently just not nearly as efficiently as should be desirable.

:geek: Thanks for digging into the nittygritty logic and posting details & workarounds you figured out!
-DG
dgriffee

Postby Erufailon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm

I didn't add all the not-technique rules, and tho it does enter 2-3 keyswitches from time to time, it's too fast to cause a playback problem for me. But I'm not using notion's playback engine, only midi-out.
Erufailon

Return to Custom Rules Discussion