Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

More on NEW TECHNIQUE

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

More on NEW TECHNIQUE

Postby johnsantana » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi,

I thank you for your detailed response to my previous question about setting up techniques. What you wrote is perfectly clear. Only thing is, I can't get any changes I make to the file to take effect.

That is, when I paste your code in, and try placing the marks in the score, they do not appear. Pressing the ' key and typing the technique text name does not bring up the technique. It is like it does not exist.

After restoring my backup file (to start fresh), I then tried changing a couple of the other factory-provided techniques to observe the effect on the score. None of these worked either--the behavior in the score remained the default ones.

This led me to think I might not be working with the correct file. For a test, I renamed it something else and went back to my score, and sure enough, NONE of the techniques were available. So I named it back, and all the techniques worked again. So I know I'm in the correct file.

Also, after making changes to the file (as a last resort), I closed Notion and restarted it, with no luck. This really is a mystery to me. I can't understand how if I make a change in the correct file, that it is not reflected in the score.

I do expect I'm missing something really simple and fundamental (I usually do). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JS
johnsantana

Re: More on NEW TECHNIQUE

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:36 pm

It's not clear who's post you're responding to...

The name of the rule file makes no different; it's the 4 letter name of the GroupID in the file that matters.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby johnsantana » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello, and thanks--

Yes, I understand about GroupID, but the point is, that any change I make to the file does not "take effect," as though I was not editing the correct file, which is why I told what I did to make sure I was indeed in the correct file.

Still scratching my head. Hope I've made enough sense to be clear.

Best,
JS
johnsantana

Postby dcd111 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I believe he's responding to me, we were discussing adding express entry techniques to the ExpressionList file in another thread.

One thing to note is that Notion only reads the ExpressionList file when Notion first opens. So you have to close out of all scores and start Notion again to see any changes (in contrast to changes to custom rules .prules files, which seem to be re-read every time you press "play").

Also, this may seem obvious, but make sure you are making the changes to the true ExpressionList.tpk file, and not the copy of it you made as a backup.

Another possible problem could be if you have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Notion installed. They will each have their own ExpressionList.tpk file.

One other thing I can think of is that, since my last post to you, I realized that you can specify the "Expression shortcuts" that are to be typed after the apostrophe, in case the simple name of the technique is too similar to another technique.

For example, I just added these additional techniques to my ExpressionList.tpk file. This adds the ability to put "L" and "R" under a note, so that in percussion libraries that have different left and right hand samples, I can specify the hand in the score. These definitely work for me as well, I just type ' and lh or ' and rh and I get L or R. See the "Expression shortcuts" lines for examples.

Code: Select all
  <packet type="EXPD" name="Expression define">
    <property key="exid" name="Expression ident">lfth</property>
    <property key="exor" name="Expression level">75</property>
    <property key="excf" name="Expression conflict">hand</property>
    <property key="exct" name="Expression categories">Percussion</property>
    <property key="nttc" name="Note technique">lfth</property>
    <property key="syid" name="Style ID">fing</property>
    <property key="extx" name="Expression text">L</property>
    <property key="exsh" name="Expression shortcuts">lh;left;lefthand</property>
    <property key="atps" name="Staff side">belo</property>
    <property key="mwvc" name="Moves with voice">True</property>
  </packet>
  <packet type="EXPD" name="Expression define">
    <property key="exid" name="Expression ident">rgth</property>
    <property key="exor" name="Expression level">75</property>
    <property key="excf" name="Expression conflict">hand</property>
    <property key="exct" name="Expression categories">Percussion</property>
    <property key="nttc" name="Note technique">rgth</property>
    <property key="syid" name="Style ID">fing</property>
    <property key="extx" name="Expression text">R</property>
    <property key="exsh" name="Expression shortcuts">rh;right;righthand</property>
    <property key="atps" name="Staff side">belo</property>
    <property key="mwvc" name="Moves with voice">True</property>
  </packet>

If you want, post your ExpressionList.tpk file, and I'll take a look. Or PM me and I can give you my email address if that's easier.
dcd111

Return to Share Custom Rules