Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Synful Orchestra Custom Rules

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

Synful Orchestra Custom Rules

Postby pcartwright » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 pm

All,

You'll find my custom rules for Synful Orchestra attached at the end of the post.

First of all, special thanks to Notion for allowing us the ability to write and distribute our own rules. Also, a big thanks to Yves who provided the first rule set for Synful Orchestra. The dynamic articulation rules are his creation and I borrowed many concepts from his original work while creating the custom string rules. His original rule set can be found here (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2446).

A few differences between my rule set and the original by Yves:
- Removed velocity bumps for staccato and tenuto notes (personal preference). There are of course velocity bumps when combined with accents.
- Created 3 Group IDs. The three IDs are split due to available keyswitches on strings, the new horn, etc. You must use the 128 keyswitch option or the rules will not work.
- syxa - group ID for all winds and brass (except for the new horn patch)
- syba - group ID designed specifically for the new horn
- sysa - group ID for all strings (section and solo)
- Updated detache rules with new "end-gap" syntax.

This is still a work in progress (thus version 0.4). I'm still trying to tweak some of the articulations (especially portato and other "under slur" markings), and I may develop additional Group IDs specific to individual woodwinds and brass as I experiment with different note lengths for detache.

Also, keep in mind that "with mute" for the new horn will default to Mute 1. I'm still experimenting on the best way to call Mute 2. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what kind of mute is being emulated by Mute 2.

Finally, I welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

Future versions will be posted to this thread.

Regards.

Last edited by pcartwright on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcartwright

Re: Synful Orchestra Custom Rules

Postby pcartwright » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Also, for those who have not used Group ID rule sets yet, please reference the admin's instructions found here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3956
pcartwright

Postby ulrik » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:20 am

Fantastic pcartwright!! I will play with this later when time admits. A BIG THANK YOU!! for this, it's really appreciated. :)
ulrik

Postby ulrik » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 am

By the way, do you know when Synful will be updated to work under 64 bit?
ulrik

Postby pcartwright » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm

ulrik wrote:By the way, do you know when Synful will be updated to work under 64 bit?

I have no idea. I'm just an end user; I have no insight into Synful's development.
pcartwright

Postby Yves » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:15 pm

hi pcartwright!

just found your post!
i need to give a try with my latest violin concerto... i especially want to see how you implement the new note-end/gap (to improve detaché realism?)...

will keep you posted!

about the 64bit: I use Jbridge without any issues... the only thing that does not seems to be ok with jbridge is that the localization mode (for the player location) needed to be reactivated every time I open the Notion 4 file: i need to open each synful instance, and turn it to direct, then back on 4 walls, then the sound is back on the right virtual space localization...

:D

pcartwright: do you use DFE for your rules?
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Return to Share Custom Rules