Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Group ID Organization

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

Group ID Organization

Postby pcartwright » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:56 am

Hi everyone. A quick warning, I've crammed a couple of different posts into one entry, so please bear with me.

As you've probably seen from admin as well as a few others on the forum, we can now utilize Group IDs for specific rule sets. Back when this functionality was announced by Notion, I attempted to create a naming convention so users could contribute rules with as little redundancy as possible. The idea went something like this:

The first character represents the library or manufacturer
The second character represents the instrument family
The last two characters specify the exact instrument or rule to be used

For example, a series of rules for Garritan libraries might look like this:
gbaa where g = Garritan, b = brass, and aa = some instrument rule (this would be an arbitrary assignment)

I think this convention will make it easier in the long run for users to combine different rule sets without the risk of duplication, but it will only really work if the community cooperates. Any feedback would be welcome.

On a side note, I would love to organize and maintain a list of these Group IDs for the community, but I'm afraid my time is a bit limited these days. Some regular forum users may have noticed that I haven't posted as often as I used to (and for good reason). A few months back I became the proud father to a healthy baby boy, so please excuse my absence from the forum as I have had my hands full with other commitments/diapers. Like I said, I would love to help the community by organizing the Group IDs (again, if the community thinks it worthwhile), but I would rather devote my remaining free time to using Notion and writing rules.

Finally, now that we have the Group IDs, I want to try my hand at using the new rules and techniques supported by Notion 4. I currently plan on creating several rules sets for the following libraries:
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Jazz and Big Band
Garritan World Instruments
Wallander (woodwinds and brass)
Synful Orchestra
EWQL Symphonic Orchestra
EWQL Symphonic Choirs

I know that Notion already supports Garritan Personal Orchestra and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, but I think the Group ID will go further than the current support allows.

Does anyone have a need for one of these libraries? (yes, I'm taking requests)
pcartwright

Re: Group ID Organization

Postby pcartwright » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 am

Here's the original discussion. I actually originally had the first two characters for the library, the second for the instrument family, and the third the specific instrument rule.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2409
pcartwright

Postby ulrik » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 am

pcartwright wrote:Hi everyone. A quick warning, I've crammed a couple of different posts into one entry, so please bear with me.

As you've probably seen from admin as well as a few others on the forum, we can now utilize Group IDs for specific rule sets. Back when this functionality was announced by Notion, I attempted to create a naming convention so users could contribute rules with as little redundancy as possible. The idea went something like this:

For example, a series of rules for Garritan libraries might look like this:
gbaa where g = Garritan, b = brass, and aa = some instrument rule (this would be an arbitrary assignment)

I think this convention will make it easier in the long run for users to combine different rule sets without the risk of duplication, but it will only really work if the community cooperates. Any feedback would be welcome.

On a side note, I would love to organize and maintain a list of these Group IDs for the community, but I'm afraid my time is a bit limited these days. Some regular forum users may have noticed that I haven't posted as often as I used to (and for good reason). A few months back I became the proud father to a healthy baby boy, so please excuse my absence from the forum as I have had my hands full with other commitments/diapers. Like I said, I would love to help the community by organizing the Group IDs (again, if the community thinks it worthwhile), but I would rather devote my remaining free time to using Notion and writing rules.

Finally, now that we have the Group IDs, I want to try my hand at using the new rules and techniques supported by Notion 4. I currently plan on creating several rules sets for the following libraries:
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Jazz and Big Band
Garritan World Instruments
Wallander (woodwinds and brass)
Synful Orchestra
EWQL Symphonic Orchestra
EWQL Symphonic Choirs

I know that Notion already supports Garritan Personal Orchestra and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, but I think the Group ID will go further than the current support allows.

Does anyone have a need for one of these libraries? (yes, I'm taking requests)

Great initiative!!
Yes I am interested in the Wallander and Synful instruments, I'm on mac osx.
Thanks! :)
ulrik

Postby thorrild » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 am

Dear pcartwright,

Congratulations! (I'm talking about the boy, not the [other] great initiative.) I would love to see some custom rules for GPO and GJBB. As far as maintaining a list, couldn't that be a sticky thread at the top of this forum? Perhaps even updated by the admin, unless there is a diaper situation there as well...?

Best wishes to the entire family,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby dcd111 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm

pcartwright wrote:...A few months back I became the proud father to a healthy baby boy...

Congratulations!

pcartwright wrote:...

pcartwright wrote:...I actually originally had the first two characters for the library, the second for the instrument family, and the third the specific instrument rule.

I personally prefer the original formulation, I think the limitation of assigning 26 plugin library abbreviations will be used up fast, whereas I don't think more than 26 rule-set variations is likely to be necessary for a particular instrument family within a particular library.

On a side note, I'm currently close to completing the first version of my Chris Hein Horns Compact rule-set, if anybody is interested. One of the challenges is that there are a LOT of settings that need to be adjusted in the instrument to make the rules work properly, particularly the hot-keys, and it quickly gets tedious. So I was going to provide presets to go along with the rules, but there's no way to separately save presets; you have to re-save the entire .nki Kontakt instrument file with the adjusted settings. I obtained permission from Chris Hein to share my re-saved .nki "preset" instrument files, since they don't include the samples. But they are still very large and there needs to be a separate one for every instrument (resulting in 54 .nki files!), so posting them in the forum isn't really an option.

So, to make a long story short (too late!), does anybody have a recommendation for a free file hosting service where users would be able to download these presets? Then people could just PM me for the link or something like that. Is Google Drive or similar appropriate for that kind of usage?
dcd111

Postby srenmp » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 pm

DCD111 it would be easiest I think to use a dropbox for your Chris Hein Horns files ...
srenmp

Postby pcartwright » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am

I'll do a set for Synful first, followed by Wallander, followed by Garritan JABB.

Maybe the admin can provide any guidance for posting preset files for third party libraries (i.e. what is/isn't allowed on the forum and what share site can/can't be linked to from the forum).
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 am

dcd111 wrote:I personally prefer the original formulation, I think the limitation of assigning 26 plugin library abbreviations will be used up fast, whereas I don't think more than 26 rule-set variations is likely to be necessary for a particular instrument family within a particular library.

I think you're right.

On a side note, I'm currently close to completing the first version of my Chris Hein Horns Compact rule-set, if anybody is interested.

I'm certainly interested.
pcartwright

Postby dcd111 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 pm

pcartwright wrote:
dcd111 wrote:On a side note, I'm currently close to completing the first version of my Chris Hein Horns Compact rule-set, if anybody is interested.

I'm certainly interested.

Since we're talking about it, I intend to give my CHH-C rules the Group-ID "chba".

Another rule-set I've been putting some ideas together for is the VSL Jazz Drums library (likely Group ID "veda"). I don't know if many people around here have it or not, but I think it sounds great, particularly for brushes. I think it is well-suited to the custom rule treatment, especially now that different note heads can be recognized. It will be simpler than the CHH-C one, since the settings in the instrument itself probably won't need to be adjusted to make it work.
dcd111

Postby pcartwright » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 pm

It looks like admin already set up a sticky for sharing rules:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3942
pcartwright

Next

Return to Share Custom Rules