Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Rules for JABB

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

Rules for JABB

Postby pcartwright » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I've written a set of rules which include instructions for Garritan JABB patches alongside my GPO rules. Using the rules will take a bit more work on the user's part than my previous GPO rules, but I think the end result works reasonably well.

I use the same instrument IDs if a corresponding instrument exists in GPO. For example, the trumpets in this rule set have rules written for the GPO trumpets as well as the JABB trumpets (additional instruments appearing in both GPO and JABB include flute, alto flute, piccolo, clarinet, bass clarinet, trombone, bass trombone, and tuba). Like my GPO custom rules, my JABB rules use the standard patches (not the notation patches). To use a JABB instrument that has a counterpart in GPO, load the instrument as you would for a GPO patch,y change the patch in channel 1 of Aria to the respective JABB instrument.

For saxophones and harmonica, load an oboe from the GPO menu and manually adjust the transposition and Garritan patch. Since we can't create our own instrument IDs, I have written generic rules for wind instruments in the oboe section of the rules. It's weird, but it works.

In a similar fashion, you can load trumpet or trombone and adjust the pitch to a flugelhorn if needed.

A quick word on the brass instruments: I've written the rules to allow for JABB mutes as well as doits, falls, and kisses in the trumpet part. Please note that these effects aren't available in trombones or in certain ranges of the trumpets (these limits are part of JABB). Also, I did not write rules in for shakes for two reasons... first, shakes in JABB can be highly customized (I recommend adding shakes through a DAW near the end of your workflow), and second, I haven't found a good way of writing shakes as a rule without interfering with trill rules on the GPO side of things.

Unfortunately, my rules don't go much further than this. I have use JABB keyboard instruments by loading the GPO piano from the presets and adjusting the patch to the JABB keyboard instruments (piano, electric piano, vibraphone, etc). In terms of basses, I prefer to load Aria as a VSTi (no rules are applied). The only rule that is really lost is the legato rule, but you can also load a solo double bass preset and adjust the patches if you need the legato rule. The only downside here is that the GPO rule set may trigger keyswitches when you aren't expecting it, so be careful.

Finally, drums... it's very difficult to write percussion rules anyway, so I honestly didn't try very hard to make JABB kits work; my main focus was on brass mutes and broad wind effects.

The rules are far from perfect. Besides missing shakes in brass instruments, another that I'm sure you'll notice is that the rules can't manipulate JABB's vibrato controls (that is, Notion rules can't trigger after-touch events), so it becomes necessary to make final touch-ups to the sound by exporting your Notion project as a MIDI file and making manual adjustments in a DAW.

Aria Rules and Presets GPO JABB.zip
(345.71 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

Version 2

Aria Rules and Presets GPO JABB V2.zip
(352.95 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Corrected rules for solo strings (consistent with my custom GPO rules).
Last edited by pcartwright on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcartwright

Re: Rules for JABB

Postby gruvsyco » Sat May 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks for this. Looking forward to giving it a try. It seems to me Notion is more interested in selling their own sounds than supporting 3rd party ones.
gruvsyco

Re: Rules for JABB

Postby pcartwright » Sun May 13, 2012 6:35 pm

gruvsyco wrote:Thanks for this. Looking forward to giving it a try. It seems to me Notion is more interested in selling their own sounds than supporting 3rd party ones.

I can't blame them too much... it is a business after all. But they should open up support for additional libraries and improve the playback capabilities of VSTis. I wish that they would convert the Notion sounds to a library of sorts (playable in Kontakt or Aria). There are times that I want a Notion sound in a project that I'm not actually using notion or any other notation software.N
pcartwright

Return to Share Custom Rules