Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

GPO Custom Rules

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

Re: GPO Custom Rules

Postby pcartwright » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 am

Update

I've updated some of my rules. Please see additional attachments on the OP.
pcartwright

Postby arkham00 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm sorry but it doesn't seem to work ... if I modify my original GPO_Aria.prules I've just to restart notion to make it work ...but with you file nothing to do ... moreover it seems that articulations don't work anymore with your file ...

What are all the notion files with the names of the instruments ?

Thanks
arkham00

Postby fabiolcati » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:04 am

Hi arkham00
if I modify my original GPO_Aria.prules I've just to restart notion to make it work

Sadly, this is the way Notion works. I agree with you that debugging rules this way is a nightmare.
moreover it seems that articulations don't work anymore with your file ...

Try loading *Standard* instruments instead of *Notation* ones into AriaPlayer.
I was digging into pcartwright's rules for GPO (thank you, Philip) in the past and found some instructions not working properly for *n-* instruments, slurs was one these. Then I left my investigation behind.
Regards
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby arkham00 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:08 am

Oh yes I see ...thanks,anyway it seems to me that slur doesn't work with n- instrument in notion at all, even with the original prules ...

How can we get the id of the different instruments ? Because for solo instruments pcartwright in his file didn't write the rules for all the variants ...for instance we have 3 different solo cellos, I'm interested in the 3rd and now general articulation such as slur and staccato are working but I can't get specific keyswitch for the instrument activated (up and downbow, mute etc ...)

So I thought that it could be a problem with instrument id, any idea?
arkham00

Postby fabiolcati » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 pm

How can we get the id of the different instruments ?

First three digts belongs to the library (GPO = 130); the latter two digits come from Notion preset list for GPO instruments (01 = Piccolo ... 63 = Full choir).
If you are on Mac you can find those presets in Applications/Notion 3/Contents/Resources/PlugInData/GPO
Because for solo instruments pcartwright in his file didn't write the rules for all the variants ...for instance we have 3 different solo cellos, I'm interested in the 3rd and now general articulation such as slur and staccato are working but I can't get specific keyswitch for the instrument activated (up and downbow, mute etc ...)

Don't worry about *n-player* instruments. In general, they don't sport alternate articulations, just *sus* samples.
You don't need specific rules for alternate solo players. Simply create a staff (eg. Cello solo) and load the solo instrument of your choice. If there' a rule for it, it will respond to.
I suggest to customize a section string ruleset assigning it to the needed solo string instrument (in short changing its instrument ID).
Slurs seems not to work for me too. Finale controls legato via cc68 instead of cc64. I never tested it Notion, since I left behind programming and turned my efforts on composing.
Hope it helps
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 am

First, sorry for my absence. Second, I have an updated rules file that has a rule for harp harmonics inspired by another thread.

See OP.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:52 am

arkham00 wrote:Oh yes I see ...thanks,anyway it seems to me that slur doesn't work with n- instrument in notion at all, even with the original prules ...

Slur rules are different for the standard and notation patches in GPO. I wrote the rules to be used with standard patches (primarily because I'm more familiar with these patches and their capabilities); if you prefer to use notation patches, then I suggest writing your own rules.

And yes, the fact that the slur didn't work in Notion is what originally inspired me to begin writing my own rule set.

arkham00 wrote:How can we get the id of the different instruments ? Because for solo instruments pcartwright in his file didn't write the rules for all the variants ...for instance we have 3 different solo cellos, I'm interested in the 3rd and now general articulation such as slur and staccato are working but I can't get specific keyswitch for the instrument activated (up and downbow, mute etc ...)

So I thought that it could be a problem with instrument id, any idea?

Notion only has instrument ids for one solo instrument. That is, there is only one ID for a solo cello (all solo cellos would follow the same rule set). Fabio explains very well how the instrument IDs can be found.
pcartwright

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:52 am

Thank you Philip for your answer.
I do apologize with arkham for being confusing in my earlier post.
there is only one ID for a solo cello (all solo cellos would follow the same rule set)

is much clearer. ;)
I will take a look to your updated ruleset.
In my own GPO prules file I turned cc64 to cc68 into with notes lenghtned up to twice the written duration and still it doesn't work. Slurs ignored. :(
Fabio, you mentioned on another thread that you were working on creating portamento rules utilizing channel switch rules. If you are able, I think several of us would love to see your work on these rules and how they affect playback.

I surely will attend to it while I'm just facing *blank page syndrome* at the moment.
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Some good questions from another thread:

thorrild wrote:a Bass Trombone staff will honk out a pedal low C the minute I start playing it, and that low C doesn't quit until I close the file (or hit the appropriate key on my MIDI keyboard). The same happens with a Doublebass staff. Other instruments play as intended, so far. Is there some sort of keyswitch that I can't see in the score?

I noticed this occasionally with horn parts, but the trend was not limited to one note nor did it happen every time (it happened randomly and rarely). I have not seen this behavior with the bass trombone or double bass. Is it only happening on a low C? Does it happen all the time?

thorrild wrote:To make me even more confused, none of the above happens if I create a new file and enter some test notes using one of the problem instrument sounds.

I am also finding that files created before I installed pcartwright's GPO rules don't respond to things like pizz. and arco. But as above, if I create a new file and enter some pizz./arco test music, all is well.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I have found that I need to "reload" GPO parts in the file I'm using. If I need to refresh a file for an additional rule (in your case, incorporate rules into a preexisting file), I go to the staff settings, change the instrument to the Notion version (i.e. change the GPO flute to the Notion flute, click "OK" to make the changes, go back to staff settings, and change the instrument back to GPO (i.e. change from Notion flute back to the GPO flute). This should activate the Notion instrument and Notion's rules concerning that instrument (thus wiping GPOs rules from whatever memory is being used). Changing it back to GPO reloads the GPO instrument and the new rules. Obviously, this is a tedious process, but it's the only solution I've found that works to correct this problem.

thorrild wrote:Pasting the "old" music into a freshly created file doesn't solve any of these problems. Are they somehow hardwired to the entries I originally made?

I really couldn't tell you what's going on there. This probably has something to do with Notion's underlying behavior and not the rule file, but I just don't know.
pcartwright

Postby elerouxx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey, pcartwright, thank you again for this dedicated work.

I'm struggling my way into custom rules, and I have a few questions when you have the time:

1. The use of standard versus notation instruments is purely your personal preference, with no advantages on either side, correct?

2. I see the reason Slur doesn't work in original GPO rules is that there's an error in the default GPO rules. In this code:
Code: Select all
<rule>
         <if instrument-id = "13053"/>  <!-- Solo Violin -->
         <if condition="under-slur" />
         <if not-technique="mute" />
         <key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="0" velocity="127" />
         <key-switch type="note-off-suffix" midi-pitch="0" velocity="127" />
         <cc type="note-on-prefix" controller="64" value="127" />
         <cc type="note-off-suffix" controller="64" value="0" />
      </rule>

If we are using Notation instruments, shouldn't this controller="64" be replaced by "68"? in your rules, you do use 64 because of the standard instruments, but GPO notation instruments uses 68 and not the sustain pedal(64) to activate GPO's legato feature. So actually default rules are wrong. Am I right?

3. A tremolo in GPO4 solo strings is, at the time, impossible to achieve. But you were trying to use the <trill pitches...> command to produce a roll on timpani. Did you have any luck? Maybe something that could work for solo strings?

4. This <trill pitches...> command, is it documented somewhere or you just found it in .prules files?

Thank you very much for your help. I'm still a little lost.

Emilio
elerouxx

PreviousNext

Return to Share Custom Rules