Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

GPO Custom Rules

Share Custom Rules for NOTION3 and NOTIONSLE

Re: GPO Custom Rules

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:05 pm

elerouxx wrote:1. The use of standard versus notation instruments is purely your personal preference, with no advantages on either side, correct?

Nope. It's essential to make Philip's rules to work properly, since standard instruments react to a different set of CC and keyswitches, as you already discovered in the following point 2.
2. I see the reason Slur doesn't work in original GPO rules is that there's an error in the default GPO rules.
If we are using Notation instruments, shouldn't this controller="64" be replaced by "68"? in your rules, you do use 64 because of the standard instruments, but GPO notation instruments uses 68 and not the sustain pedal(64) to activate GPO's legato feature. So actually default rules are wrong. Am I right?

You are right. Notion rules for GPO are wrong. The right CC for notation instruments is CC68. You can easily edit the file.
But if you plan to use Philip's rules, well they work with CC64, since standard instruments react to it to fire the auto-legato function. remember to switch it on to have slurs work properly in pcartwright environment.
I suggest you to have a look at Garritan' forum to check out how different sets of GPO instruments work.
Hope it helps.
Good night
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby elerouxx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks, fabiolcati!

I wasn't clear enough on question 1. I meant, of course Philip's rules are to be used with standard instruments, but that was a purely personal choice - there's no real advantage in using either standard or notation as far as you are using the correct controls in the rules, isn't it?

I have a couple suggestions, but maybe Phillip has already tried them. Otherwise he may want to include them in future revisions.

When performing trills, it's possible to activate the GPO LEGATO mode like this, so trills are played always legato as in under a slur, in a single bow (because that's how they are played :) )
Code: Select all
<rule>
         <if instrument-id = "13053"/>       
         <if technique="trwh" />
         <cc type="note-on-prefix" controller="64" value="127" />
         <key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="11" velocity="127" />
         <key-switch type="note-off-suffix" midi-pitch="0" velocity="127" />
         <cc type="note-off-prefix" controller="64" value="0" />
      </rule>

EDIT: this code was taken from Philip's custom rules, in the solo violin section. I know that this Switch (midi pitch 11) isn't working for the violin solo trill and instead the trill is being played "artificially". But how this works is cryptic to me, as it is the <trill pitches...> command. I do know, however, that the Legato controller (64) works and it produces a more legato "artificial" trill.

and also, about a bug: in one of the threads (sorry, couldn't find it again) some user said something about listening to a PEDAL LOW C when using the rules with some instruments. The fact is that I can SEE a lower C playing in the Aria keyboard, while I watch it playing my score. Since I am writing for the solo violin, the C is below range, but I imagine this is causing the 'pedal note'. I'm trying to trace which rule is producing this.
elerouxx

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm

elerouxx wrote:I wasn't clear enough on question 1. I meant, of course Philip's rules are to be used with standard instruments, but that was a purely personal choice - there's no real advantage in using either standard or notation as far as you are using the correct controls in the rules, isn't it?

Loading standard instruments it is essential if you use Philip's ruleset. I understand we agree on this point.
They share the same samples as notation ones, but handling is different: standard instruments have auto-legato, notation ones not. So I guess you can achieve better legato passages with it.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby elerouxx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm

I also found that in

<trill pitches="1" time="0.2" delay="0.8" />

pitches is just a flag that turn 'artificial' trills on or off: 0 means no trill is played (to use when the instrument has sampled, looped 1/2 and whole trills), 1 means that trills are played note by note in instruments without sampled trills.
elerouxx

Postby pcartwright » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm

elerouxx wrote:and also, about a bug: in one of the threads (sorry, couldn't find it again) some user said something about listening to a PEDAL LOW C when using the rules with some instruments. The fact is that I can SEE a lower C playing in the Aria keyboard, while I watch it playing my score. Since I am writing for the solo violin, the C is below range, but I imagine this is causing the 'pedal note'. I'm trying to trace which rule is producing this.

Yes, I have a corrected version for solo strings which I will post soon.

EDIT: See Version 4 on OP
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:58 pm

With regard to trills using legato: I've had some problems applying legato (CC 64) during the trill. Right now, legato control is applied at the end of the note which is under a slur. This means that the first note has a normal attack, but that subsequent notes have the legato applied. I think applying legato right after the first note is played (note-on-suffix) will fix this, but I haven't had time to write up the rules and test them.
pcartwright

Postby elerouxx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

Thank you again for the last update, it's working very nice.

I have some good news. The conditions "slide-up-into" and "slide-down-into" test positive for any note that is at the end of either a glissando, a portamento or a guitar slide! By checking it, it's possible to set PORTA (CC20) to some 75% and then LEGATO (CC64) ON, prior to playing the note, thus producing a glissando. I'm working on the details, but the base code is something like this. Maybe you could include this in some future version.

This is the prototype so far - just added at the end of the rules (so that under-slur rules don't interfere). It works fairly good, even with continuous up and down glissandos.
The caveat is that the glissando will wait until the first note has ended playing to start, stealing 75% of the time of the second note. A rule could shorten the first note but i guess there's no way to anticipate the attack of the second note, so the workaround is to edit durations in the sequencer staff to fine tune the glissando. This also happens with the Notion3 strings.

Now, these rules should only be applied to instruments that can do 'portamento' glissandos: strings, solo strings, trombone, but may be useful in the french horn, clarinet and some other winds. I don't know how other non-portamento glissandos can be coded.

Code: Select all
<rule>
<if condition="slide-up-into"/>
<cc type="note-on-prefix" controller="20" value="95" />
<cc type="note-off-suffix" controller="64" value="0" />
<cc type="note-off-suffix" controller="20" value="0" />
<duration-change amount="1.0" />
</rule>

<rule>
<if condition="slide-down-into"/>
<cc type="note-on-prefix" controller="20" value="95" />
<cc type="note-off-suffix" controller="64" value="0" />
<cc type="note-off-suffix" controller="20" value="0" />
<duration-change amount="1.0" />
</rule>

EDIT: trying the glissando or portamento marks in other instruments than strings, I see that the glissando is played chromatically note by note and the rules don't apply - Notion knows that the 'glissando' is to be played differently in each instrument. So, I'm undersanding better the "slide" conditions: they don't apply directly to a notation in the score, but to the condition of <if it WILL slide or not>. If a glissando or portamento marking will cause the notes to slide (because the instrument features that technique) then these rules will be applying. AND, if we use the SLIDE marking, it will effectively slide independent of the instrument. The slide up and slide down notation becomes then a glissando, always.

I hope I'm not cluttering this thread with these snippets. Your Rules rule! that's why I'd prefer to contribute to them than just tweaking my own. Of course, they are just ideas.
elerouxx

Postby tjmarko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:23 am

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I installed pc's rules and all seems to work fine until I add a string technique, i.e., "pizz". Not only is there no pizz, but no sound from the affected voice at all. Did I mess something up?

Tim
tjmarko

Postby pcartwright » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:14 am

tjmarko wrote:Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I installed pc's rules and all seems to work fine until I add a string technique, i.e., "pizz". Not only is there no pizz, but no sound from the affected voice at all. Did I mess something up?

Tim

Make sure you use the presets included with the rules' zip file. If you are trying to use the rules in a project that already has GPO instruments, you will need to reload these instruments. To reload, go to staff view, switch the instrument something else (i.e. switch the GPO trumpet to a Notion trumpet), click ok (this will clear Aria from the selected staff), repeat the process but now change the Notion trumpet back to a GPO trumpet (this will load the patches used with my ruleset).
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:19 am

A new version with another fix to slurred phrases has been loaded to the OP. Enjoy.
pcartwright

PreviousNext

Return to Share Custom Rules