Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

vocal sounds, choirs, etc

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

vocal sounds, choirs, etc

Postby kelldammit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm

they show up in the menu for notion3 instruments in staff setup, but they're not installed, nor are they on the list for the factory sounds on the website...is this a future addon or expansion (i didn't see them there, either)?

k
kelldammit

Re: vocal sounds, choirs, etc

Postby labou » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm

I found that quite confusing as well... but I believe they do not have yet a solution for vocal works or libraries yet... the support they did for the VSL Choir in the provided rule file is quite basic, not really interesting.
labou

Postby kelldammit » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:04 am

yeah, i just saw "voice"...and thought it'd be great for putting sound to a vocal/lyric track (i don't need anything fancy, just a cheesy single voice doing a short "ah" or something). i use the stock guitar sounds similarly (and this is EXCELLENT, btw...if you change either the notation or the tab, the other updates automatically!).
i can just use my gpo choir lite for the same purpose...i just thought it was neat/thoughtful that they'd put it there, and then was a little bummed that it wasn't really there after all. no biggie, though.

kell
kelldammit

Postby labou » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Just for fun I did a little Rules file which assign stuff like pizzicato, spiccato, .... to keyswitch triggering ah, ho, he, ... of a choir patch and played a little bit with it and honestly that will be huge if they can do condition base on text entries... I just can't stand keyswitch hidden in piano roll anymore... it's so much fun to see directly in the staff what's going on...
labou

Postby kelldammit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:43 am

agreed wholeheartedly re: keyswitching. it's sooo much more intuitive to have your score markings control stuff. i'm way too spoiled to ever go back to the piano roll for that sort of stuff. as soon as they get midi cc editing in at least some fashion (for sweeps or the like), notion will be my midi sequencer/editor, period.

k
kelldammit

Postby edbradburn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:58 am

Another vote for voices from me.

I'm doing SATB stuff right now, and the piano is useful but not exactly "realistic" :=)
edbradburn

Postby Composed » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:14 pm

So, does this mean that I can't use the Vienna Choir samples from Vienna Symphonic Library? See http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/1766/1767/1795/1413.htm via NOTION3? If not, how might I go about doing it for my NOTION3 compositions?

Thanks!

Steve
Composed

Postby kelldammit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Steve,
I was talking about the internal voice sets. it shows voice options listed, but there are no sounds assigned to them in the stock n3 library :)
your vienna choir should work okay. if the correct rules are not already present in notion, you should be able to create them.

the EWQL choir thing is a whole different animal, in that it requires some midi manipulation to access a wider variety of options for vocalization. as far as i've heard or understand, it's great 'on paper', but debatable in terms of practical use.

kell
kelldammit

Postby LarsikComposer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Has anyone tried the software Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs from East West Samples?

http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=963

It looks pretty good I think, and the demos are much better than what I first believed. To bad the software is so expensive.

I think it should be possible for Notion to make choir and vocal samples as well
LarsikComposer

Postby Kirkl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 am

I've got NI Komplete 7 on order. (Not sure when it will come - it's a new release.) It's not very expensive as a full set with Reactor, Kontact with 43 gigs of samples and loads of other stuff ($559 USD, with Kontact alone - their sampler - being $399 USD). This version includes choral samples. On their website there are demos and the choral sounds seem pretty good to me. Check 'em out.

If they are as good as they seem, I hope to use them with Notion with some custom rules. Not sure how that will work out... I'll keep you posted.

I'm also looking forward to the Kontact solo string samples. Notion's are pretty good, but again the NI demo is pretty impressive. Very gritty and real (to me).
Kirkl

Return to NOTION