Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Does anyone collaborate on transcribing to Notion?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Does anyone collaborate on transcribing to Notion?

Postby johnno » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

I just started transcribing Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony into a Notion file. 12 hours later and I'm up to bar 67 of the first movement. Only another 473 bars to go then I can do the other three movements. At this rate it's going to take me about 400 hours of serious eyestrain to complete the score. Not good!

So does anyone anywhere organise collaborations by interested parties to get works into Notion format?

Is there any interest in this?

Could a sub-forum here facilitate this process?

I envisage the starter posting details of where the score can be obtained and participants choosing which pages they'll tackle or check and then somehow combining the effort into a single file for all to play with.

The score I'm using has 162 pages in total and I've completed 4. So less of this whingeing and back to the grindstone!

It only hurts when I hum :D

Regards,
John.
johnno

Re: Does anyone collaborate on transcribing to Notion?

Postby 4tune » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:06 am

Could you not load a MIDI file and then edit that `up to scratch` to make it quicker, or is this for study/ fun? :)
4tune

Re: Does anyone collaborate on transcribing to Notion?

Postby composer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm transcribing all five movements Ravel's orchestration for his Mother Goose Suite into Notion from a public domain score. The problem with midi input is usually rhythmic errors;I find it easier and faster just to enter it all manually. You have a good idea. At one point, Notion had and paid money for public domain transcriptions of well known classical works. The problem for me is that simply entering the score data exactly will not produce a piece of music worthy enough. It sounds too sterile and lifeless. However, by tweaking the samples via the various musical parameters, one can then get a decent mock up. The problem there is a score that doesn't match the original in a notational sense, and a rendering that sounds good.
composer

Return to NOTION