Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Can't Convert MIDI Drum Files To Drum Staff

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Can't Convert MIDI Drum Files To Drum Staff

Postby DaGuy » Sat May 22, 2010 12:28 am

I tried to import a MIDI file containing a drum loop and I can't get it to display properly in drum staff. I experimented with the Notation/Tab settings but that didn't do much. I've attached the file in case anyone wants to give it try. In the end, I just wanted to look like the drum files in the Drum Library but perhaps that's too ambitious.

Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
078 Slow Blues Hats (8) F5 M.mid
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
DaGuy

Re: Can't Convert MIDI Drum Files To Drum Staff

Postby ulrik » Sat May 22, 2010 2:16 am

DaGuy wrote:I tried to import a MIDI file containing a drum loop and I can't get it to display properly in drum staff. I experimented with the Notation/Tab settings but that didn't do much. I've attached the file in case anyone wants to give it try. In the end, I just wanted to look like the drum files in the Drum Library but perhaps that's too ambitious.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi,
the midifiles drumparts are not on the same place as Notions standard, so you have to transpose them to the right places, I downloaded you file and tried and it need some editing. I transposed everything so that the closed hihat was at the right place, but all other parts are at wrong places so you have to find the right places and transpose them.

I wish notion had a drummap that took care of the standard gm drumset convertion.

regards / Ulrik
ulrik

Postby DaGuy » Sat May 22, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks Ulrik that's indeed very helpful. I got that file from GrooveMonkee.com they provide loops for several vendor formats i.e., Reason, Live and few other ones. I'll download a few and experiment. Do you know of any format that is fairly close to Notion's standard?
DaGuy

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 am

ulrik wrote:I wish notion had a drummap that took care of the standard gm drumset convertion.

regards / Ulrik

me, too. I hope to import standard midi which was exported from BFD ECO. Notion3 works nicely with BFD's Grooves, but my drum tracks remain empty.

Tatsu
Tatsu Nagao

Postby ulrik » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:24 am

DaGuy wrote:Thanks Ulrik that's indeed very helpful. I got that file from GrooveMonkee.com they provide loops for several vendor formats i.e., Reason, Live and few other ones. I'll download a few and experiment. Do you know of any format that is fairly close to Notion's standard?

I'm sorry for the very delayed answer...unfortunately I don't know any other formats that would be close to Notions :(
ulrik

Postby Admin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:20 pm

I'll look into this and see if I can get an answer for you this week.

-Kyle

Asked Lubo about this today and unfortunately our midi drum mapping is based more on notation and less on standard midi drum mapping, so there really isn't any good advice I can give you.

Sorry,
Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply, Kyle.
I hope Notion3 will have this conversion function. Notion3 has been getting better since its initial release, and you are saying "NOTION3 bridges the gap between music notation software and audio production applications." :)
Tatsu Nagao

Return to NOTION