Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cannot get sounds from demo

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Cannot get sounds from demo

Postby leander » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

I downloaded dem and have it on a mac (intel). Somehow I am unable to get any sound out of it. This sounds stupid but I don't know how to load an instrument and the help doses not help. Can I use independence free or dsldevices or are there sounds for notion that i should download or am I too helpless to use Notion?
Sorry for the unclear post but I don't understand my problem.

Only 13 days left, Leander
leander

Re: Cannot get sounds from demo

Postby fabiolcati » Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 am

Hi leander.

You must downolad sounds one by one from the demo page of Notion' site.
Since the full library is huge, this way you can choose the instruments that fit with your music.
Installing is easy, just put prox files in N3 sounds folder.

Independence Free works with Notion as a VST, since there are no presets for it.
It reads dynamics, slurs and common articulations, not hairpins: you need to record
modulation wheel data to move from a level to level.
I own Orchestral Woodwinds and there's not much dynamic content in it to play with (IF's fault).
Keyswitches works assigning an extra staff to same instrument and trasposing notes
to very low octave.
Sometimes it crashes.

So, have fun and welcome to Notion.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby thorrild » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Leander,

Fabio is right, you have to visit the demo page and download the instrument sounds individually as you need them.

These installation instructions should be easier for you on your Mac:
When you've downloaded some sounds, select them all and double-click on one of them. This launches the Notion application and the sounds are automatically installed in their proper place (the program will ask you if that's what you want). This way you don't have to worry about finding the right folder for your installation (hint: the folder is made invisible!).

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby fabiolcati » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank you for sound folder clarification, Thorrild.
I was far away from my Mac, so I explained it at hearth. :?
Leander is eventually on a safest way now. :)
Greetings
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby leander » Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I am still in the process of downloading but I want to thank you for your good and fast responses to my question. A good forum is an important part of any softwafrre and this seems to be friendly and fast :-)

Leander
leander

Postby edbradburn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 am

Hi Folks,

Me again. Decided I wanted a piano to try out some simple 4-part harmonizations I'm working on.

D/l the piano OK (Piano.prox) but try as I might, I cannot get any sound in Notion.

Weirdly, the program says it is installed, but it does NOT show up in the menu of available instruments (i.e. the "fold-out" menu tree that appears when you click on "Score Setup". If I change to the bundled strings, it does work.

Is this some limitation of the demo version?

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. Just about the only thing I don't like right now is the fact you can't drag the screen around. It's so much easier if that's possible, e.g. in MuseScore or Sibelius.
edbradburn

Postby edbradburn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:22 am

Scratch the above – got it worked out now!

I had moved the file by hand to the folder but once I deleted it and double-clicked it, it worked.

I also have no idea where it went, but it works.

It's also a beautiful piano sound...
edbradburn

Postby kelldammit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

edbradburn wrote:P.S. Just about the only thing I don't like right now is the fact you can't drag the screen around. It's so much easier if that's possible, e.g. in MuseScore or Sibelius.

would something like alt+click/drag for screen drag be acceptable?
fwiw, the draggable screen in sibelius drove me up the wall till i found the options to move it to shift+click/drag. if only horizontal scrollwheels worked (like they do in notion), they'd have a contender :P

k
kelldammit

Return to NOTION