Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Midi Exporting

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Midi Exporting

Postby Lester » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 pm

Apologies in advance if this has been covered already...

When i export midi from N3 and into a DAW/sequencer it doesn't come out accurately. What I've been doing (similar to what I've been doing when importing midi data) is exporting to Finale first as XML file, and then into sequencer.

Is this exporting midi issue a known bug? Is there something I'm missing?
Lester

Re: Midi Exporting

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

So you're exporting XML from N3 to Finale and then to your DAW?

I can imagine that might cause problems with the translation....

What problems in particular are you seeing when you import MIDI to your DAW?

Also what is your OS/DAW combination?

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 4tune » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 pm

I have noticed problems with this also. (I have just emailed support with some attachments)

To see them try exporting a MIDI file from Notion, re-import and then convert to notation. Here I often get missing first notes and bad translation.
4tune

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

4tune wrote:I have noticed problems with this also. (I have just emailed support with some attachments)

To see them try exporting a MIDI file from Notion, re-import and then convert to notation. Here I often get missing first notes and bad translation.

Cool....if you've contacted tech support that's all we can do for now.

I know we're working on MIDI issues and either I or Lubo will update everyone on any progress.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 4tune » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Ok, I found out now my problems were due to me not having the cursor in the right place when I exported. :oops: :)

Brian informed me that the cursor should be at the beginning of the first bar which it was not when exporting previously.

Maybe this might help others..?
4tune

Postby Lester » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks for responses...

I actually found that I probably hadn't always been locating my cursor at the first bar before exporting midi and doing so indeed helped...but didn't completely solve my problem. I am still finding that my exported midi files are often missing half of the first bar (which is not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless).

Just to be clear, what I described in the first post, exporting xml into finale and then into DAW (which by the way is Reaper being run in Vista) was not part of my work flow, but was the workaround that I found to deal with the apparent N3 midi flaws. I also find myself importing midi files into Finale before putting them in N3 to avoid problems.

I'm hopeful that these midi problems will be solved by development team. Otherwise I am very much enjoying working with N3 and personally find its layout and overall design to be the easiest and quickest of any notation software to work with (and to learn). Particularly for people who are primarily looking for a music making/orchestration tool...this is a great software which promises to only get better with time.

I do have some questions and ideas concerning how to best use N3 with Miroslav that I will address in another post when I have some time to do so.
Lester

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 am

Lester wrote:Thanks for responses...

I actually found that I probably hadn't always been locating my cursor at the first bar before exporting midi and doing so indeed helped...but didn't completely solve my problem. I am still finding that my exported midi files are often missing half of the first bar (which is not a huge deal, but annoying nonetheless).

Just to be clear, what I described in the first post, exporting xml into finale and then into DAW (which by the way is Reaper being run in Vista) was not part of my work flow, but was the workaround that I found to deal with the apparent N3 midi flaws. I also find myself importing midi files into Finale before putting them in N3 to avoid problems.

I'm hopeful that these midi problems will be solved by development team. Otherwise I am very much enjoying working with N3 and personally find its layout and overall design to be the easiest and quickest of any notation software to work with (and to learn). Particularly for people who are primarily looking for a music making/orchestration tool...this is a great software which promises to only get better with time.

I do have some questions and ideas concerning how to best use N3 with Miroslav that I will address in another post when I have some time to do so.

I'll definitely keep you all posted on any progress made with the MIDI issues. Thanks for your patience and I'm glad you're enjoying the product! As far as using Miroslav with N3.....we are pleased to announce NOTION SLE for Miroslav Philharmonik!!!!

Check out the information here: http://www.notionmusic.com/products/not ... monik.html
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION