Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Could Notion give an update about Midi input fixin

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Could Notion give an update about Midi input fixin

Postby Cerb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi everybody (and happy birthday Ulrik :D )

Could someone explain what exactly was fixed about real-time chord inputs?
I have seen no improvement from my experience, and I have been hoping for a pretty long time now for significant improvement of midi input (real-time and import). :(

I posted a bug report about the lack of quantisation of midi input, leading to anarchic multi-voice dispatching in Notion. But I received no notification that notion was aware of the problem.

From my point of view, broken midi input/import is clearly a bug and not an improvable feature : at the present time every kind of midi entry is a real nightmare.

I am aware that there's a lot to do and, but even if I'm impressed by the period of the updates and thankful for the great work done by Notion up till now, I'm sincerely beginning to be tired of waiting for what should be a basic functionality.

This is not meant to be an agressive message, but only an expression of my frustration. I'm surprised to be one of the few to complain about midi import/input.

I wish someone at Notion could give an update about these midi issues. :)
Cerb

Re: Could Notion give an update about Midi input f

Postby posssu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:35 am

What kind of issues do you mean? (just to know that I'm on the same page with you)

I have the following:

a)
-load piano (for example)
-hit a triad repeadetly

-> about with every other chord I only hear one or two of the tones I hit, the others won't play (almost as if there was a SOLO mode active in the piano :))

b)

-if I play something with any instruments with my midi keyboard

-> I can't almost play any passage where some note wouldn't get stuck and I have to hit ESC to stop it

c)

-start step input

-> if I enter notes using it, I have to have quite a long pause after each note so that they won't be input as a chord. Maybe it's supposed to work so, maybe not, but it's a bit hard to use anyway.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Re: Could Notion give an update about Midi input fixin

Postby astinov » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 am

Cerb wrote:Hi everybody (and happy birthday Ulrik :D )

Could someone explain what exactly was fixed about real-time chord inputs?
I have seen no improvement from my experience, and I have been hoping for a pretty long time now for significant improvement of midi input (real-time and import). :(

I posted a bug report about the lack of quantisation of midi input, leading to anarchic multi-voice dispatching in Notion. But I received no notification that notion was aware of the problem.

From my point of view, broken midi input/import is clearly a bug and not an improvable feature : at the present time every kind of midi entry is a real nightmare.

I am aware that there's a lot to do and, but even if I'm impressed by the period of the updates and thankful for the great work done by Notion up till now, I'm sincerely beginning to be tired of waiting for what should be a basic functionality.

This is not meant to be an agressive message, but only an expression of my frustration. I'm surprised to be one of the few to complain about midi import/input.

I wish someone at Notion could give an update about these midi issues. :)

Hi Cerb,

The latest releases did address some important MIDI issues, namely :

1. Chords in Real Time were notated as single lines
2. Some Midi files were coming in empty on import (those with sysex data)
3. Chord spelling and note spelling in Step Time Entry
4. Improved multi-voice behavior

I can also tell you that we are working on further customization and improvements of these features and hope to have them out to you as soon as possible.

In addition, as a general tip I give to users, please make sure you use low latency Audio drivers when recording MIDI ! I'm sure you probably are, but I can attest how many people just use DirectSound and get bad results due to driver latency issues. As I said, that's probably not your scenario, but it helps to have the tip for other people.

In conclusion, the issue of MIDI transcription to notation is a very complex one. There is no program on the planet, that will give you that "perfect" result, and I dare say - NOTION3 comes much closer to it than many that are out there. Sure, without a doubt, there are things that need to be improved, and we will continue to strive to improve them, however challenging those problems are.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Cerb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Possu and Lubo

Thanks for your answers.

I'll try to be a bit more precise, even if I already posted a thread and a bug report about this.

From my point of view the most penalising issue, the one that makes using Notion a real nightmare for me, is the one I'll try to describe below. Note that this behaviour is sensibly the same with real-time and import functions.

With the same source midi file (I know, some notes cover each other, but this is legato playing on a keyboard, not something particularly exotic) :

With another software also known as F..., I open directly the midi file, keep default quantizing options (16th note), and get this result :
This is the result I am expecting.

With Notion, I import the midi data and then "select all/convert to notation" (in addition, I set the tenor key and select View voice colors for better display). :
I don't expect this anarchic multivoice dispatching, and this is the same throughout the piece, so that you can imagine the work needed in order to just get a "clean" score. :shock:

Source cause IMO : Notion doesn't quantize midi data when importing or converting to notation, or the default quantisation applied is unsufficient.

Being able to adjust quantizing settings would be a nice feature request, but from my point of view, the default settings applied by notion should work better than that, at the worst with a need for minor adjustments. This is why I consider this a bug, or "broken midi import".

I'm sure the Notion team will find just the perfect solution to handle this issue. :)
But I would really appreciate a confirmation that work is still in progress on this subject, since I can hardly use Notion in the present state, and it's been a while now.

Hope this helps understanding my problem. ;)

Cerb
Cerb

Postby Lester » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:03 am

In many ways I am thrilled with Notion...I actually find, for myself anyway, that real-time midi playing transcription works extremely well. However, I also find that when importing midi, the transcription often winds up throwing in all those extra unnecessary rests, just like the example above. As of now, I am resorting to first importing into Finale, and then into Notion. But I would certainly like to avoid that step in the future.
Lester

Return to NOTION