Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Changing Rules for N3 Sounds?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Changing Rules for N3 Sounds?

Postby DrH » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Is there anyway that we can create a rules file for the N3 sounds? In particular, I'd like to change the default durations on staccato notes, which are *far* too short, as opposed to N2 staccatos, which were more realistic sounding.

Thnx!

DrH
DrH

Re: Changing Rules for N3 Sounds?

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Good luck making sense out of the rules_notion3.prules file!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby ulrik » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:06 pm

DrH wrote: In particular, I'd like to change the default durations on staccato notes, which are *far* too short, as opposed to N2 staccatos, which were more realistic sounding.

Thnx!

DrH

I agree on this, I find the staccatos to be much too short, and there is also an accent applied to the staccato note, in my opinion there should not be an accent unless there is an accent symbol applied as well.
ulrik

Postby DrH » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Yes, indeed. A little "oomph" might be okay, but there is definitely *too* much "bite" to the staccato sound.
DrH

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Interesting that the Notion 2 rule have 5 times more lines of code that the Notion 3 rules...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Erufailon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 am

Haven't tried, but I guess you could create a custom rule just like for custom vstis or midi-outs that doesn't have any conditions like instrument-id or midi channel, so it would apply to everything, it would only have an if articulation=staccato, and increase the duration and decrease velocity until it feels right.

edit:

OK, tried, it doesn't work, but the generic rules are in Notion3\support\plugindata\generic\rules\generic.prules, you can change the staccato duration there, and it works, but there is no accent applied to it (and I don't hear it neither). Anyway for the Notion3 instruments, they seem to have their own staccato articulation, which is recorded and has nothing to do with the notes, so it sounds as it sounds because that's how it was played. Or so I think. To really see how N3 applies staccato you need to use a custom vsti with no rules, then you get the generic staccato, and I'm quite sure that it's 0.3 duration with no additional accent, and I wouldn't change it, because if you use a long articulation even 0.3 seems a bit too long to really feel like staccato. Of course this depends on the instrument, and effects like reverb can play into it.
Erufailon

Postby ulrik » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 am

Erufailon wrote:Haven't tried, but I guess you could create a custom rule just like for custom vstis or midi-outs that doesn't have any conditions like instrument-id or midi channel, so it would apply to everything, it would only have an if articulation=staccato, and increase the duration and decrease velocity until it feels right.

edit:

OK, tried, it doesn't work, but the generic rules are in Notion3\support\plugindata\generic\rules\generic.prules, you can change the staccato duration there, and it works, but there is no accent applied to it (and I don't hear it neither). Anyway for the Notion3 instruments, they seem to have their own staccato articulation, which is recorded and has nothing to do with the notes, so it sounds as it sounds because that's how it was played. Or so I think. To really see how N3 applies staccato you need to use a custom vsti with no rules, then you get the generic staccato, and I'm quite sure that it's 0.3 duration with no additional accent, and I wouldn't change it, because if you use a long articulation even 0.3 seems a bit too long to really feel like staccato. Of course this depends on the instrument, and effects like reverb can play into it.

I have tried the staccato on a vsti sampleplayer and notion 3 puts an accent on it for sure, I will try to make adjustments in the generic rules as you mentioned.

all the best / Ulrik
ulrik

Return to NOTION