Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 3

Postby scarter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:56 pm

I've been Beta testing Notion 3, and I was thrilled yesterday not only to get the latest build, but to get the word from Lubo that it is now OK to discuss Notion 3 and spread the word. I've posted an entry on my website with some screen shots and sound clips of Notion 3.
http://koka.phpwebhosting.com/~scarterfrogs/player_journal.html#notion3impressions

Notion 3 is a great improvement on an already excellent product. As a jazz player, teacher, and composer, I'm especially excited about the new features that cater to jazz, such as the Jazz Style and fonts and the Swing control. The chord symbols are still a work in progress and have some bugs, but it's clear that Notion is headed in the right direction with these, and I'm sure the bugs will be worked out by the release date.

The mixer is a stroke of genius; it gives finely detailed control over playback. I haven't scratched the surface of the pro audio capabilities of Notion 3, but from what I've seen, it's pretty exciting.

I've been following the development of Notion from the very beginning (even before that! -- I worked with Jack Jarret when we were both at Berklee, the MusicPrinter Plus days). I'm very impressed with how the Notion team has listened to users and given us the features we've been asking for. Notion 3 is amazing!
Last edited by scarter on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarter

Re: Notion 3

Postby dcoscina » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm currently enjoying using it with EWQLSO Platinum. I never quite understood why EW was so lauded because I never could get it to sound quite right using sequencers. Now that I can input notes into N3 the traditional way, I can enjoy the sonic realism and awesomeness of EWQLSO. I also have VSL Vienna SE that I'm going to try out in a bit.

I really like the look and ergonomics of Notion3. It's far faster to get around to compose on than Sibelius 6 and even my fave DAWs like Logic and Cubase. And, it allows me to write more complex music because I'm not straightjacketed by my own pianistic limitations when using the sequencers in realtime. I think it's fabulous.
dcoscina

Postby KylePoehling » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

dcoscina wrote:I'm currently enjoying using it with EWQLSO Platinum. I never quite understood why EW was so lauded because I never could get it to sound quite right using sequencers. Now that I can input notes into N3 the traditional way, I can enjoy the sonic realism and awesomeness of EWQLSO. I also have VSL Vienna SE that I'm going to try out in a bit.

I really like the look and ergonomics of Notion3. It's far faster to get around to compose on than Sibelius 6 and even my fave DAWs like Logic and Cubase. And, it allows me to write more complex music because I'm not straightjacketed by my own pianistic limitations when using the sequencers in realtime. I think it's fabulous.

EXACTLY!

I'm using the built in sounds and the improvement has really wet my appetite for composing more. Not to mention the ability to use VSTs to create unique sounds while still using notation to write as opposed to a sequencer....Just really enjoying Notion3 :D
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby suerte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Does Notion3 allow one to compose a score in concert pitch and convert it to a transposing score view with the click of a menu option?
suerte

Postby scarter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:39 pm

suerte wrote:Does Notion3 allow one to compose a score in concert pitch and convert it to a transposing score view with the click of a menu option?

Yes.
scarter

Postby suerte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:57 pm

scarter wrote:
suerte wrote:Does Notion3 allow one to compose a score in concert pitch and convert it to a transposing score view with the click of a menu option?

Yes.

Woo-hoo! Count me (back) in!
suerte

Postby Unfinished » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:44 am

KylePoehling wrote:...the improvement has really wet my appetite for composing more.

... Unless you have a soggy appetite, I think you meant whet ...
(just saying)
Unfinished

Postby KylePoehling » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 am

Unfinished wrote:
KylePoehling wrote:...the improvement has really wet my appetite for composing more.

... Unless you have a soggy appetite, I think you meant whet ...
(just saying)

Ha :D
Touche!!!
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby frhornplayer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Hello All,

I thought it was about time I get on and share my two cents on the Notion 3 beta experience. First and foremost most of my experience with Notion in the past has been in live performance (musicals, operas, ballet, etc.) I also use Notion regularly with my DAW, writing orchestral parts and improting WAV. I would like to speak to a few of the new features in N3.

Layout - very, very nice. I am loving how you can swith from score view to continuous. That really is nice in live performance. Score setup is a breeze. There is a brilliant "performance mode" in preferences that black out the screen. The notes and score directions appear almost like a negative photo. Very easy to see in the dark while sheding almost no light on the pit!!!

Performance controls - Live players, hear me!!! We can finally use a midi device to trigget NTempo!!! Now, let me get into detail here. Not only can you control taps, you can also control: expected AND unexpected vamps, fade in and fade out, score navigation and cruise control features. Youy can also map your own midi device to customize what note(s) trigger what feature. Very, VERY cool. Puts all other similar performance enhancement tools to shame IMHO.

Sounds - N3's samples are completely redone. They are now close-miked stereo samples. They sound fantastic!!! (yes I'm talking about you too brass!!!!) N3 also has set up and default settings for other third party sample sets. (Garritan, EWQOL, and others!!) I have to say however, N3 holds its own against these sample sets and destroys others!!! Oh, and the mixer is a thing of brilliance!!!!!

I will address more features soon and I will be uploading videos of some of my experiences with N3 along with audio samples. Check back soon!!

Frhornplayer
frhornplayer

Postby Revson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:32 pm

As a huge fan of the LSO samples, I'm certainly curious what's up with these new "close miced" samples. The Abbey Road One sound is the primary reason I tried and then purchased Notion!

On another note (ha ha!) regarding samples - most if not all the winds/brass in Notion 2 seem, in contrast to strings and percussion, to use mono samples instead of stereo. In my opinion this is the source of some of the mixing difficulties with the current product. Would be great if Notion 3 provides stereo versions of these existing instrument samples. Pretty please I hope so?

Thanks for a great product.
Revson

Next

Return to NOTION