Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How can I change key of an existing piece ?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How can I change key of an existing piece ?

Postby petemckavanagh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm

I have input a piece of music onto notion and now want to change the key without having to re-type all the notes - can this be done ?
petemckavanagh

Re: How can I change key of an existing piece ?

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:00 am

petemckavanagh wrote:I have input a piece of music onto notion and now want to change the key without having to re-type all the notes - can this be done ?

You mean:

you can set a new key and all notes will show other enharmonics but are in fact the same notes?
you expect that the whole piece is transposed to the new key?

First question: yes.
Second question: no, you have to do that yourself.

In Mozart Notation this transposing is automated to "nearest, up or down", but in Notion it is up to you.

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby ulrik » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 am

petemckavanagh wrote:I have input a piece of music onto notion and now want to change the key without having to re-type all the notes - can this be done ?

Yes you can, first select the key you want it in and insert it at the first bar, then select all notes (pc: ctrl+A, mac: cmd+A), and chose "Transpose" everything to desired key.
ulrik

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 am

Huray, something I never could have found....... Many thanks.

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 am

On second thought, where is that "Transposing to new key"?

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby posssu » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 am

Raymond Robijns wrote:On second thought, where is that "Transposing to new key"?

Raymond

He means the "Transpose" command in one of the upper menus.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:42 am

posssu wrote:
Raymond Robijns wrote:On second thought, where is that "Transposing to new key"?

Raymond

He means the "Transpose" command in one of the upper menus.

He must have other menu's than me. The window that comes up is the same as the "transpose" when right clicked on a note. When I don't want to transpose to e.g. a fourth I can't click on "do it now". Just Cancel..... Or am I overseeing something?

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby ulrik » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Let's say you have score that you have written or imported and there is no keysigns meaning it's C major or A minor, and the piece is actually in D major, just insert the D major keysigns (2 sharps), and if you then would like to transpose the piece to Bb major, select all and use the "transpose" in the "tools" meny set it to "major", " third" "down" and "cromatic", "same octave" and check the "transpose key signatures" box.
Now Notion will transpose the whole piece a major third down and also input the right keysigns for the new key.
ulrik

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Ok, I surrender. But that is not the same as Mozart Notation does.

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Return to NOTION