Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Subtitles on ......

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Subtitles on ......

Postby Raymond Robijns » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:41 am

Notion is not the only one. During the middle ages up to now, I used or had demo's of a lot of notation programs and as far as I can remember not a single one had this possibility, namely:

adding a subtitle/partname somewhere on a new page which is not the first page;
adding a page number to start with (only Mozart has this, in Overture I can't remember);

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Re: Subtitles on ......

Postby thorrild » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

Raymond,

It sounds like you haven't tried Finale. In many ways, this is the program Notion has to match in the long run, as far as notational capability and flexibility. The excellent playback functions in Notion make it a wonderful program, but for total control over what is printed on the page, look elsewhere—for now.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Raymond Robijns » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 am

thorrild wrote:............. excellent playback functions in Notion make it a wonderful program, but for total control over what is printed on the page, look elsewhere—for now.

Best wishes,
Thorrild

I tried the demo version of Finale, but the demo capabilities were rather limited. No saving as if I can test everything within 24 hours. I have to sleep also.... So no Finale. Yes it is Notion for me, the playback is rather easy and great. Quality of the sound(Notion sound) is discussable?!?! I will keep quiet for now, but my hopes are........ what the heck, it is spring and temperatures are rising.

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby posssu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Raymond Robijns wrote:
thorrild wrote:............. excellent playback functions in Notion make it a wonderful program, but for total control over what is printed on the page, look elsewhere—for now.

Best wishes,
Thorrild

I tried the demo version of Finale, but the demo capabilities were rather limited. No saving as if I can test everything within 24 hours. I have to sleep also.... So no Finale. Yes it is Notion for me, the playback is rather easy and great. Quality of the sound(Notion sound) is discussable?!?! I will keep quiet for now, but my hopes are........ what the heck, it is spring and temperatures are rising.

Raymond

But as soon Notion's midi programming becomes a bit easier (so that you can program modwheel data within the track itself), things will get so much better. I don't personally expect realistic sounds from any notation software, these sound sets have to be small enough to load fast and can't hang the CPU when just playing a single melody. For me the notation soundsets are for reference purposes and they give an idea how my music will sound (harmony, sound color...)

For realistic sounds, it's better to get 3rd party software. For example for strings, LASS is amazing (www.audiobro.com). For big band sounds I'd go for Broadway Bigband (www.sonivoxmi.com). For percussion, True strike (www.projectsam.com). Probably the same place for brass too... I don't know about woodwinds... there's something calles Hollywood winds that they say are good.

But then again, this requires a big load of money. And CPU.

Sooo.... even though Notion's sounds aren't realistic in that sense (so that you would deliver a Notion export to your client), I think it does the job as a reference for a composer. It's really easy to setup and it's really fast, me thinks.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Return to NOTION