Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

NRuleSet Builder - a tool to create custom rules

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: NRuleSet Builder - a tool to create custom rules

Postby Erufailon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:47 am

I guess I'll wait, because presently you can only use the ids that are precoded. This means if you have 3 play instances in your score, you still only have 1 play id, therefore the rules will apply to all 3, no way to separate them. If they give us a way to create custom ids I'll add the possibility to use those instead of the midi-outs, until then I'd rather not, because I don't know if and how it will be implemented.
Erufailon

Postby pcartwright » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Erufailon wrote: This means if you have 3 play instances in your score, you still only have 1 play id, therefore the rules will apply to all 3, no way to separate them.

I hadn't thought about that yet; so I suppose that means you can't create specific rules for different instruments within a VSTi, correct?
pcartwright

Postby Erufailon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:57 pm

As far as I know, you can't create them for different instances of the same plugin. But you can still use the 16 midi channels, so if you use Keyswitch controlled instruments, you can have 16 instruments, which isn't bad.
Erufailon

Re: NRuleSet Builder - a tool to create custom rul

Postby ulrik » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Erufailon wrote:The new tutorials explain a lot about the rules. This tool does exactly the same thing, except with a gui and only for midi-out.
And a question. I see not many people care, which is a bit surprising because there has been a lot of requests for custom rules. Anyhow, is there a point to updating this tool to use plugin ids and not only midi-outs? I never use them, midi-outs are better for me (able to use x64 host), and this took a lot of time learning java and all that, but I'll get working on updating it to use plugin ids as well if it's worth the time (meaning you guys need it).

I do care a lot about this issue, but as you allready know I'm unable to use your application, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested, I also might be able to use it with other computers in the future.
ulrik

Re: NRuleSet Builder - a tool to create custom rul

Postby mkiz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:45 pm

I also am interested, but have been a bit reluctant to try installing your tool because it sounds a little tricky. I don't want to corrupt my installation, and fear that a misstep could result in that. I have been using ewqlso within notion with the section presets provided by lubo. I get pretty good results, but find that exporting the midi for minor tweaking in sonar does not work well with this method. You approach seems like it could give me best of both worlds--I could host my play vsts in sonar, and record when ready, then tweak. That said, if I could access the dxf patches within notion, I migt not need to tweak... I guess i just need to give it a try.

Mkiz
mkiz

Postby Erufailon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm

You don't need to copy anything into the Notion directories. Create a brand new directory for the scores, create a Rules folder inside that and place the .prules files there. The only time you need to even enter your notion folders is when you copy the expressionlist.tpk, just don't move it accidentaly, and that's all. It's not really tricky, especialy now that a direct link was provided for the required libraries. It's actually quite simple, I'm just exaggerating to make sure everything works as it should :)
Erufailon

Postby mkiz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Okay. I just tried to install the tool, and I can't seem to get it running. I copied the swingworker and appframework files into the right lib folder. When I click on NRuleSetBuilder.jar, I get the following error message: "Could not find the main class:NRuleSetBuilder.NRuleBuilder"

Any ideas?
mkiz

Postby dgriffee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:08 am

:D :D :D Thanks Erufailon :D :D :D
... thanks for SHARING your efforts so generously with all the rest of us Notion users out here!

(and thanks to NotionMusic for being so open and helpful to erufailon)

I have been very impressed by the exemplary cooperation of folks on both sides of this unfolding mutual enhancment for everyone's benefit
dgriffee

Postby Erufailon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:49 am

mkiz wrote:Okay. I just tried to install the tool, and I can't seem to get it running. I copied the swingworker and appframework files into the right lib folder. When I click on NRuleSetBuilder.jar, I get the following error message: "Could not find the main class:NRuleSetBuilder.NRuleBuilder"

Any ideas?

Hvae you renamed appframework.jar to appframework-1.0.3.jar? And the swingworker shoudl be named swing-worker-1.1.jar.
Erufailon

Postby mkiz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Erufailon--I renamed the .jar files and that worked. Thanks. Not sure how I missed that!

I set up a dxf articulation per your instructions in the readme for EWQLSO and it works. Now, it seems that I will need to play with this to understand how to create a useful complete template and ruleset. For me, the whoel reason to go this way with external midi would be to have free and easy access to all the dxf patches, and make essentially substitutes for the master keyswitch patches using dxf articulations instead.

Thanks!

mkiz
mkiz

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION