Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Fingered tremolos

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Fingered tremolos

Postby Robins1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:08 am

Hi everyone. First of all this is a great program but I'm having trouble with fingered tremolos. I'm writing for a piano in 6/4 time. I enter 4 dotted crotchets and apply the tremolo signs. The first note in the bar stays as a dotted crotchet (notehead doesn't go clear) but the second note acts as it should (looks like a dotted minim). The 3rd note is the dotted crotchet but the 4th note is now a dotted quaver. I have tried different time signatures all with the same result. Is this a bug or am I missing something
Colin
Robins1

Re: Fingered tremolos

Postby thorrild » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am

Dear Colin,

I posted a bug report (using that form, found elsewhere in this "community") and some further descriptions here on the Notion board on March 10, 2010. You can search for it among the previous posts under the title, "Lots of bugginess in fingered tremolos." I suggest you post a bug report as well. The more, the merrier: I suspect that if the hard-working folks at Notion sense that a matter is important to more than just 1 user, it moves up the urgency ladder.

As of now, a fingered tremolo only works if it can be interpreted as a trill. If the interval is bigger than a second, it will not play back properly. Although with some tweaking (and there are bugs here as well), it can be made to look okay on the page, you cannot simultaneously get it to sound the way it should.

My tedious and time-consuming work-around consists of adding another piano grand staff onto which I write out the tremolos using 32nds (demisemiquavers?) or 64ths (hemidemisemiquavers?), or whatever suits the tempo. After I am done, I hide the extra piano from view (uncheck it in Score Setup) and then I silence the original, offending fingered tremolo by highlighting it and and setting it as Tacet (user guide, p. 10.29).

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Robins1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Thorrild,
Thanks for getting back so quick. I guessed it must be a bug. I'll send in a bug report with one or two more things on it. The workaround sounds very much like a Noteworthy way of doing it :D . I think I'll wait for a fix as the piece I'm writing is Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and there are quite a number of bars with tremolos in them :) .
Colin
Robins1

Postby Cerb » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:33 am

Hi everyone,

Could someone confirm that this issue has still not been corrected?

Indeed I am unable to get fingered tremolos working.

Thanks.

Cyrille
Cerb

Postby thorrild » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 am

Cerb wrote:Could someone confirm that this issue has still not been corrected?

Cyrille,

Nothing has happened on the tremolo front since the last post. So far, there is no word from Notion about its rank on the list of things to fix/improve, but maybe Kyle or someone else an enlighten us on the matter? (Hint, hint...)

Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Cerb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Doh... :cry:

Thanks anyway Thorrild :)
Cerb

Postby pcartwright » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:28 am

Do you think this could eventually be controlled with "MIDI trills-like" code? Notion added a rule that basically set trill conditions for instruments that didn't have sampled trills (and I think it works pretty well); it seems like similar controls could be made for measured and unmeasured tremolos so instruments without these samples (or odd spaced tremolos) could at least sound (though, of course a sampled tremolo would sound more realistic).
pcartwright

Return to NOTION