Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

What articulations are included?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

What articulations are included?

Postby jodep » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

It seems to me that all possible expressions and articulations are listed in the sidebar, even the ones that are not included in Notion Protégé. For some articulations, the help file indicates that an extension pack is needed, but this is not always the case. So, to find out which ones are included, I started entering a few notes and testing the articulations (and also find out how they sound). For most articulations, this is simple, e.g. the Bartoc pizzicato does not seem to do anything, and I conclude that it is not included in the base version of Protégé. However, as a non-musically trained newbie, I am not sure that I am not missing some of the more delicate nuances because of my un-trained ears.

Hence the question: is there a way to know for sure which articulations (and expressions/dynamics/...) are included and which are not? I was thinking of an exhaustive list, or an option to hide (gray out) the ones that are not available, ...
jodep

Re: What articulations are included?

Postby KylePoehling » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 am

It's probably easier for you to look at what articulations are included in the expanded strings I and II kits to find out which ones you won't have....

here's a list of what's included in the expanded strings kits:

Expanded Strings I

This kit introduces new techniques for violin, viola, cello and bass sections. The new sounds include tremolo, accent tremolo, con sordino, accent con sordino, staccato con sordino, pizzicato con sordino, tremolo con sordino, accent tremolo con sordino, half step trill con sordino and whole step trill con sordino.

Expanded Strings II

This kit expands on the new sounds and techniques introduced in Expanded Strings I for violin, viola, cello and bass sections. The new sounds include col legno, sul ponticello, bartok pizzicato, minor third tremolando, major third tremolando, perfect fourth tremolando, open string, and natural and artificial harmonics.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions...

-Kyle
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby jodep » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply, but I had already thought of that.

However, I am still confused. One example of my confusion is for the tremolando technique, of which the Protégé help file explicitly states:
To generate the most realistic string tremolando sound, we recommend you install the Expanded Strings 1 kit.
However, "tremolando" does not even appear in the list of this kit. It does, however, appear in a more exotic form in the "Expanded Strings 2" kit as "minor third tremolando", "major third tremolando", and "perfect fourth tremolando". As a non-musically trained person, I am not sure whether these three cover all tremolando techniques or whether there still exists a "normal" tremolando, which would then (hopefully) be included in the Expanded Strings 1 kit (which I ordered some days ago, presuming that tremolando is in there based on the help file entry).

So, this is why I'm getting a bit nervous about the lack of clarity concerning the playing techniques and why I posted the question. If no straightforward answer exists, could someone at least confirm that a "normal" version of tremolando is included in Expanded Strings 1?

Thanks in advance,
Jo
jodep

Postby KylePoehling » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 am

For your purpose "tremolo" is "normal tremolando" and is included in Expanded Strings I.....

Hope this clears things up!
-Kyle
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby jodep » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 pm

That's nice to know. Thanks.

I guess I will now wait until I receive the Expanded Strings I and hope that it includes some other stuff that I would like to have (e.g. upbow and downbow, etc)

Regards,
Jo
jodep

Re: What playing techniques are included?

Postby jodep » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 am

A while ago I have received the Expanded Strings I. It does indeed contain the tremolando effect. In fact, the whole extension package can be summarized as consisting of the tremolando and the con sordino playing techniques (in all sorts of combinations: accented, legato, trill).

However, I still do not hear any effect when using upbow and downbow. Is this because they are not included in Protégé and Expanded Strings I, or is this effect so subtle that I just don't notice?

Kind regards,
Jo
jodep

Postby Unfinished » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Upbow is the movement of the bow across the string(s) away from the hand which is holding it (the 'upwards' direction). Downbow is the movement of the bow across the string(s) towards the hand which holds it (the 'downwards' direction). It is used as a performance marking to make it easier to know which way to direct the bow. Slurs also indicate whether to play upbow or downbow (ie. the opposite direction of the note before the slur, used until the end of the slur).

For this reason, I doubt Notion has recorded every sound the string instruments play (of course excluding pizzicato and tremolo/tremolando) twice (once downbow, once upbow), as the sound of upbow and downbow are only very subtly different and Notion would have a tough time calculating which notes were upbow and downbow (where unspecified).

I am almost certain the situation is that upbow and downbow do not change anything about the performance, they are just essential for scores that intend to be performed.

I would suggest you find out what the techniques are on the internet in addition to trying them out on Notion.
Unfinished

Postby Kingsley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:37 am

Great thread started by you..It will really help all members here who wanted to know about it...
Kingsley

Return to NOTION