Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Sequencer staff with ARIA player

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Sequencer staff with ARIA player

Postby Raymond Robijns » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 am

From the video tutorial I am following all instructions shown there but now for the ARIA player (Garritan). I can't get it working. Afer the recording I don't see any modwheel info. What am i doing wrong?
Input via MIDI keyboard of course.

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Re: Sequencer staff with ARIA player

Postby pcartwright » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Quick question; are you using a separate controller staff that routes into the instrument staff?
pcartwright

Postby Raymond Robijns » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello Mr. PCartwright,

I went over all again. In fact did the same as this afternoon and still no modwheel info on the basic[linked] staff. So I connected my other MIDi keyboard which has a genuine MIDI in/out to the EMU1616M system. Now it worked. So I went back to my USB driven M-Audio Oxygen 25.

To shorten the story, I finally got it working. Driver issues!!!!
By the way is the ModWheel data also for the Notion sounds available, didn't try it yet.........

Thank you for the effort to help,

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 am

I’m not quite sure what you mean by using the mod wheel with notion sounds. I don’t know what controller changes volume in Notion’s sounds; however, the sounds can be controlled with dynamic markings (pppp – ffff) and with crescendos and decrescendos.

On those same lines, GPO instruments can also use the same markings. Notion uses various dynamic markings to adjust mod wheel data for GPO instruments.
pcartwright

Postby posssu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am

pcartwright wrote:I’m not quite sure what you mean by using the mod wheel with notion sounds. I don’t know what controller changes volume in Notion’s sounds; however, the sounds can be controlled with dynamic markings (pppp – ffff) and with crescendos and decrescendos.

On those same lines, GPO instruments can also use the same markings. Notion uses various dynamic markings to adjust mod wheel data for GPO instruments.

But you get much better (=more human) results when playing them yourself.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 am

Hello,

one of the video tutorials showed the use of the sequencer staff, somewhat at the half of it Lubo showed using the modwheel to "get more drama and expression". I wanted that also with some Garritan sounds and couldn't get it working because Microsoft had its own driver installed for M-Audio Oxygen 25 (which gave me no trouble in XP64, but in Window 7-64 it wasn't installed properly).

I finally got it working and now I wondered if the Notion patches also allowed using Modwheel data (= CC1) to enhance the dramatic feeling. I know that with both libraries (GPO and N3) the overall volume is set by the dynamics. The modwheel data can be "the sugar" in the coffee, or see it as some "cream topping" on the icecream. That is what I meant to say.

Besides, speaking of icecreams, overhere it is almost 20 degrees Celsius, time considering enjoying one...(haha)

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 pm

posssu wrote:But you get much better (=more human) results when playing them yourself.

True; I think ideally you would like to be able to add the dynamics (the dynamics would appears as actual CC data somewhere near the staff) and then you could maually adjust the parameters as you wish. Grant it, I'm not much of a mod wheel user; I never got very good results when I add mod data after inputting notes in programs like Sonar.
pcartwright

Return to NOTION