Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Bridging the gap between notation software and your DAW..

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Bridging the gap between notation software and your DAW..

Postby KylePoehling » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 am

Just wondering how some of you incorporate your notation software with your DAW? Some programs seem to be more oriented to do this well some don't.

I prefer to compose for certain instruments (strings, brass, some percussion....) with notation and samples. Finale and Sibelius seem to be "trying" to make it easier to bridge the gap, but haven't really come up with a really "DAW friendly" option.

I know that with Notion3 it's something we're really focused on (streamlining the work flow between DAW and notation). From what I've seen so far Notion3 makes me feel more "at home" considering I'm coming from a DAW users perspective.....so......

how do you currently incorporate your notation software with your DAW?
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Re: Bridging the gap between notation software and

Postby dcoscina » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:25 am

Hey Kyle. I use DP6 these days for film scoring mostly because its realtime transcription to notation is scary-good. Very accurate even with complex tuplets. however, I know more and more people who are using Sibelius 6 to directly score their films with. I must confess that I also have Sibelius 6 and Finale 2009. They have some cool features but I find Notion's method of notation entry faster. You know, Q= quarter note, e= Eighth note, etc. MUCH faster to work with.

I think you can use Sibelius 6 as Re-Wire with a sequencer although I think that's mostly to take advantage of the DAWs built in sounds- like Logic 8's amazing AU plug-ins. I personally would rather export the MIDI file when finished.

Hopefully with N3, there will be a video import option like Sibelius 6. Also adding markers and such. That would be very cool.

sorry this might not have actually answered the question
dcoscina

Re: Bridging the gap between notation software and your DAW..

Postby KylePoehling » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:56 am

As far as I've tried Sibelius's ReWire doesn't work at all....I've tried a few times, but NO success... :shock:
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby scarter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 pm

KylePoehling wrote:Just wondering how some of you incorporate your notation software with your DAW? Some programs seem to be more oriented to do this well some don't.

I prefer to compose for certain instruments (strings, brass, some percussion....) with notation and samples. Finale and Sibelius seem to be "trying" to make it easier to bridge the gap, but haven't really come up with a really "DAW friendly" option.

I know that with Notion3 it's something we're really focused on (streamlining the work flow between DAW and notation). From what I've seen so far Notion3 makes me feel more "at home" considering I'm coming from a DAW users perspective.....so......

how do you currently incorporate your notation software with your DAW?

With Notion 2, I wrote string, woodwind, and percussion parts in Notion, created a WAV file, and then brought that WAV file into n-Track Stuio (http://www.fasoft.com). Then I overdubbed guitar parts, by plugging my guitar into an Edirol UA-20 USB audio interface. I created my latest solo guitar CD this way. (Sound clips at http://omstream.com/pages/your-selectio ... bum_id=655).

Sometimes for teaching materials, I write bass and percussion parts in Notion, export them to WAV, and overdub rhythm guitar and/or lead lines in n-Track Studio.

From what I've seen of Notion 3, it looks like I will be able to do much of this right in Notion. That will be provide a great boost in productivity!

Steve
scarter

Postby jloving » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:19 pm

KylePoehling wrote:As far as I've tried Sibelius's ReWire doesn't work at all....I've tried a few times, but NO success... :shock:

ReWire in Sibelius is half-baked. Limited to sending one stereo pair of audio out - that's it. The only purpose it really serves is so they can put the ReWire logo on brochures.

As far as 'bridging the gap' - I use Sibelius to produce sheet music, and occasionally take rough cuts of MIDI files into the DAW, that's about it. I've been very active producing 'sound sets' for Sibelius users, but at the end of the day the users that rely heavily on them have much more patience than I do :)

It's a good system on paper that's been poorly implemented...twice...(but who's counting). So for the time being it's sheet music in Sibelius; MIDI and Audio work in anything but Sibelius.

Jon
jloving

Postby posssu » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:07 pm

In the idea world I'd like to program my orchestral stuff in my notation software and have it sync through ReWire with my DAW where I record all the additional audio stuff and when I hit play in either software, they play in perfect sync!

I'm really looking forward to trying Notion3, since it seems to do all this. For so long people have written scores in an "engraving software" and then exported it to DAW and programmed it there. This leads to two sources for the score - the programmed and the visual score for musicians. I always wondered why can't be the same. Finally someone has done it with Rewire support.

If I don't program my sounds in the notation software for some reason, I route the track outputs via IAC driver under OSX to the DAW and load the instruments there, to keep it all in the same program. This is also a place where Rewire will finally keep these two programs in sync. So whether the notation software acts as a VST host or not, I love the option to be able to program and record my performance there.

I didn't find any information about this, but I'd really love to have a video-window in Notion. I tried to find third party software to play video in sync with a notation software and found actually none (that cost under 3000 dollars...) I hope N3 will (at least eventually) have a video window that will run in sync with the score. This would be a really helpful feature for a film composer student...

Besides the video, N3 seems to have everything I've ever wished for. Looking forward to trying the demo!
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby xmiinc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 am

possau, do you have an audio interface or some other gear with wordclock?
xmiinc

Postby posssu » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 am

Yea, I have Apogee Duet.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Return to NOTION