Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Glissando

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Glissando

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 am

Question:

Glissando on a piano. Can I assign to "gliss" only on the white keys? You know how difficult it is to do a gliss also on the black keys, if not completely impossible to perform in most cases. The notation program Overture has this feature. Also one can assign the moment a glissando starts. I didn't find this in Notion. When present it can enrich the perfomance dramatically (e.g. trombones, clarinets, even strings).

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Re: Glissando

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 am

I was under the impression that Notion's "default" was to only gliss on the white keys. Is this not the case with what you're hearing? Every time I've used a piano gliss (admittedly, only a handful of times) the gliss sounded like just the white keys.
pcartwright

Postby astinov » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

The piano gliss already should be just white keys, that's correct.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

pcartwright wrote:I was under the impression that Notion's "default" was to only gliss on the white keys. Is this not the case with what you're hearing? Every time I've used a piano gliss (admittedly, only a handful of times) the gliss sounded like just the white keys.

Didn't try it yet, maybe it is true, but I wondered why I couldn't set any property of the behaviour, or am I overlooking something?

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby astinov » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Raymond,

The gliss sign automatically defaults to the type of instrument:

1. Piano - white keys only
2. Harp - harp tuning (or current key)
3. Chromatic Brass and Winds (non-slides) - chromatic pitches
4. Strings and Trombones - slides (pitch shift)

Thus, the gliss is attempting to most accurately represent the instrument it is placed on.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm

astinov wrote:Raymond,

The gliss sign automatically defaults to the type of instrument:

1. Piano - white keys only
2. Harp - harp tuning (or current key)
3. Chromatic Brass and Winds (non-slides) - chromatic pitches
4. Strings and Trombones - slides (pitch shift)

Thus, the gliss is attempting to most accurately represent the instrument it is placed on.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov

I searched the manual and couldn't find this great solution. Maybe I used the wrong search argument. Highlight this and other "for me still hidden features" a bit more under a chapter "Strength of Notion 3"

Much obliged,
Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Return to NOTION