Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

About GPO "template"

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: About GPO "template"

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:23 am

enrimusic wrote:can anyone reupload the file? is no longer available..
many thanks

Since you are doing digital music production on the Mac, I can provide a bit of help! :)

VSTi Techniques for Aria Player and GPO Template ~ Example ~ NOTION 4 Score ("Aria-GPO-Techniques-Sample-Score.notion", approximately 55KB)

DETAILS

(1) After the default installation of NOTION 4, the selections in NOTION 4 Setup look like the following, depending on whether you have "Notion Instruments" or "VST Instruments" selected . . .

Image OR Image

(2) You want to click on "VST Instruments" and then you want to click on "VST Manager . . . " , which causes a dialog like the following to be displayed, and if you have the ARIA Player and GPO, then you want to locate the two ARIA Player entries, which will be "Not enabled", and you want to select them . . .

Then you want to Enable the two Aria Player entries by clicking the "Enable" button, after which it looks like the following, and you can click on "Close" to return to NOTION 4 Score Setup, where there now will be a GPO Template . . .

[NOTE: The GPO Template is selected by clicking on the "Garritan Personal Orchestra" button . . . ]

Image Image

(3) Add an ARIA Player staff to your NOTION 4 Score and then add a GPO Template staff to your NOTION 4 Score, where in both of these you will select the Violins I section. When this is done, exit NOTION 4 Score Setup; save the NOTION 4 Score, and then when you select the ARIA Player staff by clicking on it with the mouse pointer, which is indicated by a solid yellow visual cue, you have the VSTi Techniques for the ARIA Player . . . .

In contrast, when you click on "Vlns.I", which is the GPO Template staff, you get the GPO Techniques, which are different from the ARIA Player VSTI techniques . . .

[NOTE: You can view the following two full-width images in the Firefox web browser by right-clicking on the image and selecting "View Image". There are similar ways to do this with other web browsers . . . ]

THOUGHTS

This is the general way it works, but whether this solves the problem is another matter, since I did not do any testing to verify that the different types of VSTi Techniques work, mostly because I never use that stuff . . .

Nevertheless, I think this solution is the same as the one posted earlier with the now "missing" NOTION 4 example score . . .

Let me know of this works and provides a happy solution, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby enrimusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:21 am

thank you! but seems that ARIA Player doesn't load its samples automatically, any advice?
iMac 21,5 MID 2011 (2,5GHz i5 - 16GB DDR3), MacBook Pro Retina 2013, OSX Mavericks, Digidesign 002r, Notion 4, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools LE 8, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Ra, SD2. And tons of love for music.
enrimusic

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 am

enrimusic wrote:thank you! but seems that ARIA Player doesn't load its samples automatically, any advice?

(1) You need to have the set of Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) sampled sounds somewhere on your Mac, and here in the sound isolation studio I have them on the Mac Pro via Finale 2012, since GPO comes with Finale 2012 and I think it comes with the new version, Finale 2014 . . .

[NOTE: The actual sampled sounds are not stored in the NOTION 4 score or templates. Only pointers or references to the ARIA Player and GPO sampled sounds are stored in the NOTION 4 score. If you have Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO), then the sampled sounds will be somewhere on your computer if you installed them, and the ARIA Player will know where to find them if it is the ARIA Player that comes with Finale 2012 or GPO, and for reference, if you do not have GPO, then you can do a competitive "cross-grade" to Finale using NOTION 4 as the qualifying competitive product and get GPO this way, which costs $139 (US) and is $10 (US) less expensive than getting GPO as a separate product. To do this, you only need to enter your NOTION 4 serial number in the appropriate field of the Finale cross-grade online form, and you get a coupon code. This does not affect your ability to continue using NOTION 4, and I verified this with Make Music customer service before I did the cross-grade sometime in 2012, but now the cross-grade is for the new version of Finale which was released recently . . . ]

Finale 2014 Competitive Cross-grade (Make Music)

[NOTE: This is the link to the PDF file (2 pages) that has the list of the Garritan Sounds that come with Finale 2014. These are the GPO Sounds plus more sounds, but I am not certain that they map directly to GPO, and since I do not have Finale 2014, all I can do is guess, but GPO came with Finale 2012, and it is the way I got it, and it correctly activates the GPO template in NOTION 4 when the ARIA Player is enabled as a VSTi in NOTION 4. If you need verification on this, you can call Make Music customer service and ask about it, where "Does GPO come with Finale 2014?" is the question to ask . . . ]

For Finale 2014, we’ve again added dozens of breathtaking new instruments to the robust Garritan library already included with previous versions of Finale.

[SOURCE: What's New in Finale 2014 (Make Music) ]

Finale 2014: Garritan Sounds (Make Music) ~ PDF (2 pages)

[NOTE: I do not use Finale 2012 for anything other than helping folks in this FORUM, but it is nice to have the Garritan Sounds and the ARIA Player, which I use occasionally. For reference, I use NOTION 4 as the foundation for my digital music production system, where the focus is on using music notation and virtual instruments to compose, arrange, and produce songs, where nearly all the instrumentation is done with music notation and virtual instruments, although I play a few real instruments, primarily lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and electric bass, except that with bass I get better results when I use a virtual festival of bass instruments, so the only time I play real bass is when the melody and chords are so complex that the only way to do the bass line is "by ear", and even then once I get the bass line I usually transcribe it in music notation and then use a set of virtual bass instruments to produce the desired bass, at least for DISCO and Pop songs, because in these genres one needs bass synthesizers, Dubstep subsonic bass, and bowed string basses in addition to electric bass. I use Digital Performer 8.05 (MOTU) as my primary Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, and I record the NOTION 4 generated audio as soundbites in Digital Performer via ReWire 2, where Digital Performer is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 slave, with both running in 64-bit mode. I also use Reason 7, which only works as a ReWire 2 slave in this system; and I have no need to do anything involving printing sheet music, but occasionally I create a PDF file containing a NOTION 4 score, but only to provide additional information for a post to this FORUM. Prior to focusing on music notation and virtual instruments in NOTION 4, I was doing everything with real instruments and a KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys), but there are limits to what I can do as a drummer without doing a lot of practicing, as is the case with playing keyboards, and virtual instruments sound better and are more precise for all the instruments that are not my primary instruments (electric guitar and electric bass), so I get better results with music notation and virtual instruments for most of the instrumentation, which is fine with me because it works . . . ]

(2) The ARIA Player initially opens with 16 empty channels, and you need to load the instruments or ensembles you desire, which in this example is "Violins KS" . . .

So, you just need to double-click on "empty" for the first instrument channel in the ARIA Player, at which time you select "Violins KS" or whichever instrument or ensemble you desire, although in the example it was "Violins KS" . . .

There are two ways to do this:

(1) You can do it in NOTION 4 Score Setup after you click on "ARIA Player", which causes the ARIA Player interface to be displayed (but only in the step where you first click on "ARIA Player") . . .

(2) You can do it anytime in the NOTION 4 Mixer by clicking on "ARIA Player" at the top of the channel strip or track . . .

Let me know if you need more help on this . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby enrimusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 am

Hey man! I have everything installed, GPO Samples are in their own folder, and if I manually load an instrument with Aria everything work well. The thing is that I don't wanna do this manually... is there a way?

thank you!
iMac 21,5 MID 2011 (2,5GHz i5 - 16GB DDR3), MacBook Pro Retina 2013, OSX Mavericks, Digidesign 002r, Notion 4, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools LE 8, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Ra, SD2. And tons of love for music.
enrimusic

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 am

enrimusic wrote:Hey man! I have everything installed, GPO Samples are in their own folder, and if I manually load an instrument with Aria everything work well. The thing is that I don't wanna do this manually... is there a way?

thank you!

You can do it one time, where you manually load the ARIA Player and configure the various GPO staves as you desire, but do not put any notes on the staves . . .

Save the NOTION 4 score you created this way in a separate folder, perhaps labeled "My Custom Scores" . . .

Then, when you want to create a new song, open the saved score and immediately do a "Save As . . . " where you give it a different name and put it in a separate new folder for the new song, and everything will be setup and configured correctly . . .

This is the way it is done behind the scenes in NOTION 4, and you can verify this by looking in the NOTION 4 application "package", which you do by right-clicking on "Notion 4.app" in the "Applications" folder and then selecting "Show Package Contents", where in the folder named "Contents" there will be a subfolder named "Resources" where you will find a subfolder named"Templates", and this is where the NOTION 4 predefined templates for scores are stored . . .

You can add your custom template (see above) to the "Notion 4.app" application package, where you need to prefix the name with the next available integer in the naming sequence, but this is not recommended, because when you update NOTION 4, it will replace the existing application package with the new application package and all your custom templates will be gone, hence the recommended strategy is to keep your custom NOTION 4 templates in a separate folder . . .

This is how it looks if you add a new custom template to the "Notion 4.app" application package, where the next integer prefix was "18", hence I added it to the name of the NOTION 4 score, but as noted the recommended way to do this is to leave the "Notion 4.app" application package as it is installed and instead to put custom NOTION 4 templates in a separate folder so that subsequent NOTION 4 updates do not overwrite your user-defined custom NOTION 4 templates . . .

[NOTE: The advantage of adding your user-defined custom templates to the "Notion 4.app" application packages is that when you select "New From Template", your user-defined custom template will be there, but this comes at the cost of needing to remember that you have user-defined custom templates that will need to be reinstalled after every NOTION 4 update, hence the recommended strategy of keeping your user-defined custom NOTION 4 scores (a.k.a., "templates") in a folder that is not part of the "Notion 4.app" application package . . . ]

This is easy to do, and it saves time to have a user-defined custom NOTION 4 score template, but you need to do it manually, although only one time, after which you can open your custom template and then do a "Save As . . . " to create the new NOTION 4 score . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. As a general rule, it is best on the Mac to avoid (a) tinkering with the UNIX layer via "Terminal.app" and (b) tinkering with application packages and PLISTs, but among other things I am a registered Mac OS X, iOS, and Safari application developer (Apple), ReWire and Rack Extension developer (Propellerhead Software), and VSTi/VST developer (Steinberg), which maps to not being so reluctant to do experiments that can, and occasionally do, hose the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, which usually takes a day or longer to recover; but I do frequent full-backups and have cloned internal hard drives that I can swap in a few minutes to get back to the way things were before I started tinkering with stuff, so long as I remember to save all the Desktop folders and files, as well as any other files containing stuff that I added since the last full backup, which I usually do, since I have a separate internal drive where I keep archive copies of new stuff, which as you might know is one of the things software developers do for the development machines, where for reference I use SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) to clone internal hard drives, which works nicely with internal hard drives and LaCie external hard drives, where I like LaCie external hard drives because they are bootable for the Mac, which is very important, because you need to be able to boot from a cloned drive, since otherwise it is spinning wheels . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

Hence, unless you have a bootable full backup on a cloned external hard drive or, if you have a Mac Pro, then on a cloned internal hard drive that you can swap in a few minutes, it is best to avoid unnecessary tinkering, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby enrimusic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:57 pm

ok I'll try it, thanks for your time.
enrimusic

Previous

Return to NOTION