Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

About GPO "template"

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

About GPO "template"

Postby Owatones » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all well!

Now to the subject:

I must say that it's a good feature to autmatically see what teqniques a special instrument present when selecting a particular stave. Nice done fellows :)

The thing that bothers me is that from now on, when I choose the Garritan instruments I see that no special technique is avaliable in GPO.

When trying to get at least some of the techiques like for instance ( tr. ) nothing happens.

Before, most (but not all) techs. where implemented for GPO.

I truly believe that you at Notion are doing your very best (as you allways have) to get things right.

Just wanted to bring this matter up.

Best from PoA Sorlin in Sweden.
Owatones

Re: About GPO "template"

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 am

I've brought this up before (as far as rules like pizz, mutes, etc).

Trills and certain types of tremolos are "playable" in GPO (as I'm sure you're aware). Notion doesn't generate MIDI data to create trills or tremolos; it only uses patches with pre-recorded trills, trems, etc. As a GPO user myself, I found that the best thing to do is write a trill in one staff (say a flute staff) but edit the velocity to 0 (this is to insure that the note won't sound). Create a second staff (basic staff template), route that staff to the original flute staff, and record the trill as you want it played. There are tutorials on how to do this.

Hopefully, they will add more of the other GPO features (mute, trem for strings, fluttertongue, etc) back under the GPO techniques tab in the future.
pcartwright

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

pcartwright wrote:I've brought this up before (as far as rules like pizz, mutes, etc).

Trills and certain types of tremolos are "playable" in GPO (as I'm sure you're aware). Notion doesn't generate MIDI data to create trills or tremolos; it only uses patches with pre-recorded trills, trems, etc. As a GPO user myself, I found that the best thing to do is write a trill in one staff (say a flute staff) but edit the velocity to 0 (this is to insure that the note won't sound). Create a second staff (basic staff template), route that staff to the original flute staff, and record the trill as you want it played. There are tutorials on how to do this.

Hopefully, they will add more of the other GPO features (mute, trem for strings, fluttertongue, etc) back under the GPO techniques tab in the future.

Question: what is a GPO template. I installed NOTION but I don't see it (btw. I have GPO and ARIA).
Question: can you tell me about where I must look for those tutorials.

Regards,

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby Raymond Robijns » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Found those video tutorials. Great stuff and very instructive.
Remains that mysterious GPO template
Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby Owatones » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Raymond Robijns wrote:Found those video tutorials. Great stuff and very instructive.
Remains that mysterious GPO template
Raymond

I couldn't explain it better but here's what I ment by the word "template":

If you start a new score or want to add more instruments into a score then you have different options, depending on your setup (GPO, VSL, Vsti's and so on).

When I choose Garitan Personal Orchestra I get the message "No specific techniques" above "GPO Techiques" in the lower right corner when aditing say; a solo violin. (Notion 3 solo violin has a couple of techniques under that tab, that goes for Notion 2 intstruments to (to some extent).

Now: I try using GPO Aria Player from the Vst Instruments menu and suddenly there are a headline that says "Vsti Techniques" and a copuple of options like pizz. and so forth. But: I does'not play back whith the chosen technique.

Still I can live with this for now, even if I miss the possibilty to load GPO and "pizz" was avaliable for playback without having to go thru a work-a-round as bescribed above (thanx for that effort by the way :) )

PoA
Owatones

Postby Raymond Robijns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Owatones wrote:
Now: I try using GPO Aria Player from the Vst Instruments menu and suddenly there are a headline that says "Vsti Techniques" and a copuple of options like pizz. and so forth. But: I does'not play back whith the chosen technique.

Must try that. I've found how I can access Garritan stuff..... Will let you know about.

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby Raymond Robijns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Owatones

I tried it and indeed it doesn't work/playback. I used the ARIA player X86 and the ARIA player X86-Multi. Both don't receive the "special" messages.

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby Raymond Robijns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Huray, got it working.

Download the Notion file from Box.net and study it. The file is here:

http://www.box.net/shared/dm0qxxkedm

Score Setup
What I did was the following. First I "entered" the ARIA player and loaded the String Section/Violins I KS.
In Notion you get just the first staff (see file).
Next I went to Garritan Instruments and called for Strings-violins 1
You get the second staff.
Inputting things
I input notes on the second staff only and now it comes. When I need an articulation/dynamics I go to the staff of the ARIA player. Notion gives you the list of what is possible. But the articulation MUST be placed on the second staff, this is the standard Garritan Violins 1

Surprise!!!! It works. Now I have to go for the solution to "hide" that ARIA staff... but that is up to you.

Have fun,

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Postby Owatones » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:58 am

Raymond Robijns wrote:Huray, got it working.

Download the Notion file from Box.net and study it. The file is here:

http://www.box.net/shared/dm0qxxkedm

Score Setup
What I did was the following. First I "entered" the ARIA player and loaded the String Section/Violins I KS.
In Notion you get just the first staff (see file).
Next I went to Garritan Instruments and called for Strings-violins 1
You get the second staff.
Inputting things
I input notes on the second staff only and now it comes. When I need an articulation/dynamics I go to the staff of the ARIA player. Notion gives you the list of what is possible. But the articulation MUST be placed on the second staff, this is the standard Garritan Violins 1

Surprise!!!! It works. Now I have to go for the solution to "hide" that ARIA staff... but that is up to you.

Have fun,

Raymond

Thanks for your effort Raymond!!

Best from PoA
Owatones

Postby enrimusic » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:43 am

can anyone reupload the file? is no longer available..
many thanks
iMac 21,5 MID 2011 (2,5GHz i5 - 16GB DDR3), MacBook Pro Retina 2013, OSX Mavericks, Digidesign 002r, Notion 4, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools LE 8, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Ra, SD2. And tons of love for music.
enrimusic

Next

Return to NOTION