Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Paper size versus Screen dimensions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Paper size versus Screen dimensions

Postby Raymond Robijns » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:40 am

As with most of the notation programs I ever used, Notion does it also.
Why are the score dimensions always set to the printer properties?
When one has a printer which can only print A4 or less, the max screen dimensions are set to A4.
When I have a printer capable of printing Legal size, then the max. screen dimension are set to Legal.

Don't do that. Make the screen dimensions independent of the printer properties, please. In that case I can have a full screen sized score page on my Pivotted SyncMaster 2243sw. Right now the max. size is legal, so my desktop is filled up to 3/4 and it would be nice to have it fully blown up.

When you later want to print the score, you always can introduce a setting like "Fit to paper".

Raymond - who wants to see things a bit bigger (aging problem I think).
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Re: Paper size versus Screen dimensions

Postby posssu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 am

I soooo agree! +1111

Why does the screen version get modified when a paper size is selected? Sure, the aspect ratio has to match when watching in non-continuous mode, but otherwise I don't understand why the score has to be scaled so that with smaller scaling the fonts become non-antialiashed, zoom stops to zoom close enough etc.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Raymond Robijns wrote:As with most of the notation programs I ever used, Notion does it also.
When one has a printer which can only print A4 or less, the max screen dimensions are set to A4.
When I have a printer capable of printing Legal size, then the max. screen dimension are set to Legal.

Hi Raymond,

I'm using a free PDF Printer (software printer) which outputs PDF files into a folder in my HDD, and I'm able to choose a score size from A0, A1... to Letter while my hardware printer can't print bigger than A4.

Tatsu
Tatsu Nagao

Postby posssu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Raymond Robijns wrote:As with most of the notation programs I ever used, Notion does it also.

Don't do that. Make the screen dimensions independent of the printer properties, please. In that case I can have a full screen sized score page on my Pivotted SyncMaster 2243sw. Right now the max. size is legal, so my desktop is filled up to 3/4 and it would be nice to have it fully blown up.

When you later want to print the score, you always can introduce a setting like "Fit to paper".

Raymond - who wants to see things a bit bigger (aging problem I think).

Raymond, just to make sure: have you already discovered the zoom feature of Notion3? It's really quick to use and you can zoom in and out in a flash! Just hold ALT and scroll the mouse. Also, in the Continuous view that you can access from the upper menus you can see the score endlessly wide - then just zoom in with ALT-scroll to fit your personal taste on how many staffs you want to see at once.

These things help when working with small paper size, but I still agree there's some weird paper-binding going on when it should't have to be so.

Also, the installing the PDF printer as suggested above might give you more options on paper sizes, if nothing else helps.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Raymond Robijns » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 am

You both gave me great solutions to this problem..

Thanks,

Raymond
PC Intel I7-Quad core, 12 Gb RAM, Windows 7-Pro X64, lots of HD's intern and extern, SONAR 8.5, NOTION 3, Altiverb, Overture, GPO libr., Garritan Authorized Steinway, PianoTeq 3.5 and soon EWQL SO.
Raymond Robijns

Postby astinov » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 am

Yes, I was about to add a comment about CutePDF - it's a free PDF printer for the PC which can basically have any paper size in existence. Works great with NOTION3 too.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Raymond Robijns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:35 am

Right now I am using a free pdf printer with the paper size "tabloid" to fill up my pivotted 22" screen.
And I am comfortable with it, no more scrolling down.

Case closed, I think,

Raymond
Raymond Robijns

Return to NOTION