Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Expansion Sounds

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Expansion Sounds

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:42 am

It would be nice to have even short demos of instruments playing on their own, especially for the woodwinds.
And... look! Sopranino saxophone: now you can have that Elton Dean feeling at your fingertips! (This shows how old I am).
Have a nice day.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Re: Expansion Sounds

Postby ulrik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

fabiolcati wrote:It would be nice to have even short demos of instruments playing on their own, especially for the woodwinds.
And... look! Sopranino saxophone: now you can have that Elton Dean feeling at your fingertips! (This shows how old I am).
Have a nice day.

Elton Dean, ohh yes, I'm that old too :D
ulrik

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

I know it's a little OT, but just discovered he and Hugh Hopper are both passed away.
The latter being one of my favourite bass players.
Hope they joined Alan Gowen somewhere so the heavens to be filled of Canterbury sound.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby ulrik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm

fabiolcati wrote:I know it's a little OT, but just discovered he and Hugh Hopper are both passed away.
The latter being one of my favourite bass players.
Hope they joined Alan Gowen somewhere so the heavens to be filled of Canterbury sound.

Yeah right, thoose great National Health records.
ulrik

Postby tombax » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm confused. Do you have to buy a whole new string section to get the string techniques which previously sold as an expansion pack? I see the tab for col legno, harmonics etc., but they don't work.
tombax

Postby pcartwright » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that only a few of the techniques that could be displayed on the previous version of Notion 3 had the ability to play back that exact articulation. For example, col legno was available as an instruction on the score, but the Notion sounds didn't actually play the part col legno (I believe they defaulted to detache).

The expansion sounds provide actual playback of those directions and articulations. You can still add the direction using the appropriate express entry (see the manual for a list of express entry items), but like previous versions of Notion 3, the direction (such as col legno) won't actually change how the instrument sounds.

So, the grayed out directions mean that you don't have the samples to actually play that technique, but you can still add that direction using express entry. I kind of rambled a little, so does all that make sense?
pcartwright

Postby tombax » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 pm

What I'm asking is a matter of terminology, maybe. When those of us who already have a violin section buy a new violin section, we're actually buying the extra articulations, which were marketed in a slightly different way in the old Notion. Is that correct?
tombax

Postby posssu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:01 pm

tombax wrote:What I'm asking is a matter of terminology, maybe. When those of us who already have a violin section buy a new violin section, we're actually buying the extra articulations, which were marketed in a slightly different way in the old Notion. Is that correct?

I haven't used a previous version of Notion, but when you buy the new Strings expansion, you are extending the built-in Notion 3 string section with playback of real samples of certain articulations.

Since I think the strings section in Notion 3 is completely new from Notion 2, these articulations haven't been available before in previous versions.

I don't know if I answered your question... :)
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby jonknowles8 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:01 pm

I saw a post a while ago that those of us who had purchased expansion sounds for Notion 2 would be able to get the new sounds for Notion 3 without charge - if I recall correctly.

What's the latest on that? I purchased 5 of them and certainly would not like to have to pay for them again.

Since this is my first post since Notion 3 came out - let me add that I too think Notion is terrific! Great job!

Jon

P.S. BTW, I have read here a few times that there is a special section/board for suggestions (separate from this?). Where is it?
jonknowles8

Postby Mister HU » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:37 am

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is that if you bought Notion 2 expansion kits, you would eventually receive the files that enable you to play those extra Notion 2 (not 3) sounds within Notion 3. This is what happened with me - they sent me an email, and I downloaded the files (Harpsichord, for example).

These new expansion kits are Notion 3 files, so you won't be getting those for free.

Again, I could be wrong, but...
Mister HU

Next

Return to NOTION