Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Note Input Using Only Computer Keyboard

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Note Input Using Only Computer Keyboard

Postby adtino » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:38 pm

I am a Sibelius user that has been considering cross-grading to Notion 4. The only reason that I have not switched yet is because I have not found any information regarding possible note input using only the computer keyboard. I do not compose with a MIDI instrument, and point/click mouse input is too slow, even with rhythm selection shortcuts. Does this feature exist in Notion 4, or is it something that is in development? If not, is there some way I can assign my own keyboard shortcuts to the application?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
adtino

Re: Note Input Using Only Computer Keyboard

Postby Johnny » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:59 am

In Notion the computer mouse plays a major part in selecting a staff, notes and most score staff objects.
There isn't any other way to focus the cursor to objects in different systems without clicking into the field you wish to edit, add or delete items from.
It is what it is and since excepting the methods and ways to work with Notion I haven't felt limited or frustrated. I just get the job done. I then enjoy what I've accomplished as do other people that see my work in action.
Yes, it could be changed to allow for different workflow methods; yet, it's simplicity of use with the computer mouse isn't all bad.
With the mouse you can *quickly move to different parts of the screen. *Make selections with a marque box selection. *Drag notes up and down a staff. *Align objects by click and drag mouse movements etc, etc. etc.

It is what it is and it works fairly smooth. You must take the time needed to learn the power user methods. Reading the manual, learning all of the computer keyboard short-cuts with mouse interaction make for very fast manipulation adding, deleting, editing and playing music performances ( *live play-along or listening).
Combining all the possibilities Notion can achieve and! incorporating other software synchronized with Notion via "Rewire" you have lots! and lots! of 21st century innovation for creative ideas.
It is what it is and it works. Good! IMO.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Last edited by Johnny on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny

Postby ghess1000 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:56 am

I have to agree with Johnny. Notion is not an engraving program. I think of it as more of a notation-based composition and arranging tool. While I can crank out a score pretty quickly as a copyist, that's not what the program is for really. I've found I actually prefer to work in edit mode (mouse entry) most of the time, shifting into step entry using MIDI or one of the virtual instruments when the mood strikes.

But that's when I'm writing. For me this is very pencil and paper like, but with the added advantages of a computer like copy/paste, audio playback, automatic parts etc. Where Notion saves me time is that now I write directly in the program. It's so fast and easy, it rarely gets in the way, something I can't say about Finale or Sibelius
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby bkvam » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:43 pm

You should consider getting a small USB MIDI keyboard, like the Alesis Q25. Amazon currently lists it at about $64. It's small enough that it fits between my computer keyboard and monitor. You just plug it into a USB port and Notion (and all the other applications on your system) will recognize it and let you play notes. You can access two octaves at a time, and can switch which octaves are selected by pressing Up/Down buttons.

I used the computer keyboard to enter notes with MuseScore, but was a pain -- it's a whole lot easier entering chords with a piano-like keyboard.
bkvam

Return to NOTION