Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Thinking of getting Notion before sale ends

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Thinking of getting Notion before sale ends

Postby RamblerAudio » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am

I've been watching the development notion for the last year and thinking of picking it up during this sale.
Two things that are stopping me from purchasing Notion is lack of proper drum notation and lack of recording sustain pedal.
There was a vague promise of a sustain pedal fix but nothing so far. Does anyone in the know, know anything.
Mac Pro 2.66GHZ 8 core OS X 10.7.5 14 GB Ram
M-Audio profire 2626 x2
Finale 2012, Notion 4
Logic pro 9.1.8, Studio One 2.6.2, Reaper 4.6.2
Kontakt 5, Komplete 9, Cinisamples Piano in Blue
BFD3
RamblerAudio

Re: Thinking of getting Notion before sale ends

Postby ghess1000 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 pm

What drum notation are you missing? Do you mean it doesn't automatically choose the correct noteheads? It does some of the time, but other times you'll have to manually change noteheads, mainly on cymbals

As to recording the sustain pedal, if you can use a sequencer staff to record CC data.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby bbkp46 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:49 am

Gentlemen,

This is my first posting since I purchased Notion4 a little over a year ago at the same discounted price. I was so impressed with the product (fast learning curve/intelligent shortcuts/rapid data entry & editing/etc.) that I also purchased the entire extended sound library at half price, as well. I too have some major issues with the drums, multiple engraving/printing output glitches, etc. But, I also know this is a fast evolving product. The discounted prices for both cannot be beat it will be updatable at a reasonable cost when Notion5 is released. I have already received a catalog from Sweetwater with Notion5 at the discounted price of 149.00 giving me hope that the latest versions of both Notion and (hopefully) sound libraries with important instruments such as flugelhorn/bass flute will soon be available.
The choices are simple --> buy now at a discounted price and update later or wait for the newest version at full price. Admin has been monitoring the "wishlists" of current Notion users and I have little doubt that many of the product's shortcomings will soon be addressed.
I invite Admin to chime in on the subject of Notion5 regarding timing and updates as I am anxiously awaiting the newest batch of "goodies" to which we will be treated.
bbkp46

Postby RamblerAudio » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 am

Thank you for your reply George. In searching the forum it seems Notion will record cc#64 information in the midi
sequencer mode but will not convert the information to pedal markings in the traditional notation mode.

I have Finale 2012 which is ok. Not the friendliest program. The new update is buggy and crash prone. Finale was bought out last year by an investment group and that is usually not a good thing. I realize Notion is a more basic program But I'm looking for something else to use along side finale until I switch software.

Sibelius is owned by Avid which is sinking fast. They also let go of all their senior programers, so not a wise investment at this point.

I will be using this primarily for jazz lead sheets. Lessons for students. I haven't found any information on how it handles rhythmic slash markings ala the real book. Or any info on notating polychords " slash chords".

The Administrator seems really hit or miss here and I'm not sure how much Presonus is behind this product.

Thanks for any help.
M-Audio profire 2626 x2
Finale 2012, Notion 4
BFD3
RamblerAudio

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 am

Presonus just bought Notion. How much more "behind it" could you get?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby ghess1000 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Notion really isn't a replacement for Finale and Sibelius which to my mind are engraving programs. When I first got Notion, I was looking at it that way, but now I'm thinking of it more like a notation-based DAW, but not quite. I've learned to work differently use Notion. For one it's really easy to compose in directly, whereas in Finale and Sibelius, I prefer to work things out first and then enter them.

It works fine for lead sheets. Slash notation is handled in a similar fashion to Finale. Slash chords? Do you mean inversions or polychords? Inversions are no problem. You can type any polychord symbol you'd like, but to get it to playback correctly, you'll have to notate the chord and then convert it to a rhythm slash. I find with most jazz chords, it's best to create the voicings or the voice leading is too clunky.

Presonus is solidly behind the product.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby RamblerAudio » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 am

Seems like a no-brainier right now at $50.00. I went ahead and bought it. I'm looking forward to digging into it.

Thanks again George for your reply's, they really helped. I realize Notion doesn't have the engraving features
of finale and that's OK. I also own Studio One Pro so I'm looking forward to tight integration thru rewire with S1.
M-Audio profire 2626 x2
Finale 2012, Notion 4
BFD3
RamblerAudio

Return to NOTION