Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

New user question re: chords

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

New user question re: chords

Postby joebataz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 am

Greetings folks!
Very new user here....
Is there a way to enter the notes of a chord using the chord library? I don't want the little diagrams or the text of a chord name I want the notes. For instance in the chord library I choose a C Major chord with a C in the bass staff and click <????> and the C,E,and G notes appear in the treble staff and a C appears in the bass staff. The <????> is what I am looking for.

Thanks!!

joeb
joebataz

Re: New user question re: chords

Postby ghess1000 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:09 pm

No sorry. You need to enter notes manually.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby joebataz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Oh well...
joebataz

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 pm

I sometimes input chords using rhythm slash notes and chords from the Notion Chord Library Pallet onto an "External MIDI Out Staff" which is loop recorded back into Notions MIDI input of another instrument(guitar).
I then can edit the chords and make other dynamic or detailed changes if needed.
Check out the Notion 4 document I've added here_
midi loop recording.notion
(64.64 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times

I didn't spend much time with this example but you should be able to see what I'm doing.
The original MIDI out Staff is muted, I already loop recorded it and didn't need it so it's muted.

The chords and fingering are not edited in this example; however, they could easily be changed in this type of notation. I did randomize the note start times and note velocities

P.s I use a "Dual Port" external MIDI interface which allows me to output Notion on "Port A" of the MIDI interface and loop back in "Port B" of the MIDI interface into the Notion input and record the data on the new (guitar) staff.
*NOTE! Loopbe Virtual MIDI Cable doesn't work for this method of loop recording. Neither does a single port external MIDI interface.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Last edited by Johnny on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Johnny

Postby ghess1000 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 am

Very cool trick, Johnny.
George Hess
ghess1000

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 am

This method is a great way to add life to chords added from the chord pallet.

And after editing is completed the notes could be changed back into rhythm slashes again and they will maintain the velocity, duration and micro-timing changes made during the edit process.
Chord name symbols can replace the tabbed illustrations.
Chord symbols.JPG
Chord symbols.JPG (12.74 KiB) Viewed 31445 times

,Johnny

:arrow:
Johnny

Postby ghess1000 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't have a MIDI interface anymore, just USB. But it would be easy to export the MIDI file and import it into the track. The biggest problem I have is the voice leading from the chord library tends to be not so good. I wish I could add to it. I know that each file stores the chords you use, but you can't add them directly to the library and the diagrams. Also chord symbols that don't have diagrams don't play back correctly. Since I write a lot of jazz chords, that's an issue for me.
George Hess
ghess1000

Postby joebataz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for the responses folks!!

Been away so I haven't had a chance to respond. I like the loop back suggestion but I guess it's time for me to get back to my roots and write the darn chords out like I learned 50 years ago.

Appreciate the help,

Best

joeb
joebataz

Return to NOTION