Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Midi keyboard not inputing to score

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Midi keyboard not inputing to score

Postby awwatson740 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 pm

Ok, I'm brand new at Notion. Bought the iPad version and got hooked then bought the desktop Notion 4. I'm getting pretty familiar with it with one exception. I cannot get my Yamaha CP33 to input notes to score. It works with my Pro Tools and CueBase but I've tried everything I know (that didn't take long!) and can't get it. I'm sure it's a simple move. Can anybody help this rookie?
awwatson740

Re: Midi keyboard not inputing to score

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm

awwatson740,
if you navigate to _File > Preferences... and click on the "MIDI Tab" you should see the MIDI Input "Input Device". Select the Yamaha MIDI device from the drop-down list. The close the preferences.

You obviously need a Notion Staff and instrument. In Score> Setup insert a Staff and instrument. Use the Piano.
Exit the Score Setup and return to the Main Score Window.
When you Select/Click-on the piano staff you added you should then be able to play your Yamaha keyboard and hear the piano sound.

If Not!

1. Is your Computer Audio Setup Correct? ( Do you have an ASIO audio device ? )
2. Do you have the Notion Sound Library downloaded and installed on your computer? ( Separate installation than the Notion Application). _Does the demo song work?_
3. Is the MIDI port being used by another application/program in the background?

_____________I could go on but one of these issues is the usual suspect.____________

P.s. As for all new Notion users do yourself a big favor and take the time to thoroughly read the Notion Users Guide/Manual.
When I get new software and in this case Notion I force myself to read 99% of the manual before getting too wrapped up trying to hack my way through the application.. The time taken is well spent.
Sorry if that sounds rude; however, it may take several hours but will save you may weeks, months and years in the end.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Johnny

Postby awwatson740 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks Johnny! Brian from Tech and your notes did the trick. I'm still not showing Yamaha as a device but it's working. I think I was rebooting without having the proper assignments to midi, interface, etc. And I'm going to spend some time with the manual as well. I know that'll fast forward my knowledge of this application.
awwatson740

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 am

awwatson740,
What external MIDI interface are you using?
(I'm not sure if 32-bit and 64-bit MIDI interface Device Drivers and Software Applications are opposite compatible). Check to see if your external device is compatible with the Notion version you have installed on your computer 32-bit or 64-bit.

Then in the Notion Preferences, select your external MIDI interface for Notion's input device.
It's usually listed by "Manufacture or Product name".

There's probably only one input device in the drop down list.
"Except"
if you have a "Dual Port" or "Multi-Port" external MIDI interface.

If you have a Dual or Multi-Port device your Yamaha keyboard would be plugged "into" either the MIDI interface "port A" or "port B". (It may be called some other name ie. (port 1, port 2).

Anyway, If it works with your other MIDI applications ( Pro Tools and Cubase) it will work with Notion if there is not a compatibility issue 32-bit or 64-bit.

Sounds like you are close to getting it figured out. Good luck.

Johnny

:arrow:
Johnny

Return to NOTION