Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Lead Sheet Entry Questions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Lead Sheet Entry Questions

Postby liquidnotion » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:53 am

So im preparing a lead sheet and i have 2 little tiny questions.

1. For a guitar part. I don't want the string bends to be copied from the tab to the staff line. I want the staff to be rhythm slashes only and leave the bends and all other articulations on the Tab staff..

2. I have the measures setup to be 4 per line. If i have a 2/4 bar can i split one measure in half? still leaving 4 per line?

thanks
K
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 9.48.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 9.48.56 AM.png (12.27 KiB) Viewed 8549 times
liquidnotion

Re: Lead Sheet Entry Questions

Postby Johnny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Liquid,
Are you looking to do a "single note" melody staff "lead sheet" with a "tab chord chart" below it?

Looking at the image file you've added to this post above I guess I don't really understand your needs.

Here is a Wikipedia definition that may help you better in defining your request;
A lead sheet is a form of music notation that specifies the essential elements of a popular song: the melody, lyrics and harmony. The melody is written in modern Western music notation, the lyric is written as text below the staff and the harmony is specified with chord symbols above the staff.

400px-Lead-sheet-wikipedia_svg.png
400px-Lead-sheet-wikipedia_svg.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 8507 times

,Johnny

:arrow:
Last edited by Johnny on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Johnny

Postby ghess1000 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:55 pm

That's not really a leadsheet. You have two separate parts, a lead and rhythm guitar part. If you want both to play and notate correctly, they'll need to be separate instruments.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby liquidnotion » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 am

I've been writing lead sheets for a Military band for over 20 years. Im pretty sure i know what a lead sheet is. because the last time I opened a real book it had melody and chords.. just sayn.. Thanks I think the 2 part will be just fine
liquidnotion

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Liquid Notion,

Did you try the Notion file I made?
_It's not what I would call a "Lead Sheet" ala Realbooks.
After seeing the image file you added at the beginning of this post I tried to improvise one that may be what you were looking for.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Attachments
Rhythm&Tab.notion
re-named update of previous file
(43.46 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Johnny

Postby ghess1000 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:09 pm

No need to get huffy Liquid. It's just semantics. A lead sheet is usually a melody line with chord symbols. If you want to specify the rhythm for the guitar, then you are getting into an arrangement. Now if you want to hear the chords playback, but want it to look like a leadsheet, you can hide the rhythm guitar part and add the chord symbols to the melody staff. The hidden staff still plays back, but it looks like a lead sheet.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Postby liquidnotion » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 pm

not gettn huffy.. lead sheets can be all kinds of things. I just think its funny that the first two posts.. were, you don't know what a lead sheet is.. jeez I've been writing and looking at the damn things for 20 years. LOL...Yes the lead sheets I write are a bit different but thats what they want. They want the rhythm on top and any melody on the bottom. The only difference between my lead sheets and the one you posted is that the one posted above doesn't spell out a RIDDM for the guitar player. I just wanted to know how to do that. thats all. werd up :D
liquidnotion

Return to NOTION