Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Drum Notation Important Feature Request

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Drum Notation Important Feature Request

Postby Grooveaddicted » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi guys,

in general I love Notion and its simplicity approach to writing scores. Me as a drummer there are 3 main annoying things about notion that made me use a different program again. Unfortunately.

1. Slashes without stem!
It is very common to write slashes to tell the player keep doing what you do until lets say count 4 of that bar and then notate the specific fill. Or write slashes and kicks on top in voice 2. This just makes things clear and easy to read.

2. Notion need to write the right note head automatically for cymbals.
Thats probably the most annoying part. A closed hihat has always a x. A crash always a O as the note head or at least just make all cymbals (Hihat, Ride, Crash) an x note, if you don´t want to differentiate the different types. A drummer will understand that. But at the moment you have to write the note and change the head, or change the head beforehand and then change it back. Unnecessary!

And that also comes with it - changing the note head resets the rhythmic value to quarter notes. Drives me nuts. You are writing out a fill with your hands in lets say 16th and involve HH or Cymbals and change the note head and choose the rhythmic value again - and the the same again if you are back on the drums. That is slowing me down!

If I write notes in with my mouse alright I get it, it would be probably hard to program.
But if I use a midi keyboard or even better the drum pads in the software, it needs to do the change automatically. There will never be a hihat written with a normal note head. It is an x!

3. Keeping 8 bars together in one system
At the moment, if you want to have a clean 8 bar or 4 bar or whatever many bars you want in one system, you have to manually link every single bar to the next. OK it works but again wasting time. Select the bars you want to link together and let me link em. Please!

Why is this so essential?
You want to deliver a clean chart that the player does´t have to think about. He should play and have an instant understanding of what is going on in the most simple way.
And writing that needs to be quick and straight forward.

Believe me, why do I take the time to write all this, because I see the potential of this software being my favourite writing tool.
Please tell me what you think or maybe I missed some solutions?!

Cheers
Grooveaddicted

Re: Drum Notation Important Feature Request

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 pm

It's been a while since any forum members have added to the drums wish list's.
We all would like to see changes in this category. Percussion in general which includes "piano".
I use a lot of different drum and perc. vst's and the custom rules can take a lot of trial and error to get the note transpose assignments and correct note-heads to work as in standard drum and percussion notation.

I definitely agree with your list of suggestions. I think it would be great if the Forum Administrator would create a "Sticky Topic" where users could add suggestions. I know they can't address everyone's desires; however, with all the great minds using this software I'm absolutely sure the developers could use some of the user based input and suggestions. The suggestions could even be visible only to Notion developers if that's what it takes to get user input and ideas.

One simple idea that would help a lot is an "User Defined Input Convertor Map" which could remap real-time input of MIDI drums and imported MIDI drum patterns.
I could go on and on so I won't.

I agree with you _I like this software and it's potential. I've used MIDI since 1985 and have learned to dislike piano-roll type interfaces. As a player/performer I need to read the music and piano-roll reading obviously is hopeless for me and anyone else I want to read and play my music.
So, your points are well taken here. The developers have there own clock though so let's just hope they release some great improvemrents in the next version released.
As always thanks to Notion for there software and the hope for great things to come.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Johnny

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:28 am

Johnny wrote:It's been a while since any forum members have added to the drums wish list's.
We all would like to see changes in this category. Percussion in general which includes "piano".
I use a lot of different drum and perc. vst's and the custom rules can take a lot of trial and error to get the note transpose assignments and correct note-heads to work as in standard drum and percussion notation.

I definitely agree with your list of suggestions. I think it would be great if the Forum Administrator would create a "Sticky Topic" where users could add suggestions. I know they can't address everyone's desires; however, with all the great minds using this software I'm absolutely sure the developers could use some of the user based input and suggestions. The suggestions could even be visible only to Notion developers if that's what it takes to get user input and ideas.

One simple idea that would help a lot is an "User Defined Input Convertor Map" which could remap real-time input of MIDI drums and imported MIDI drum patterns.
I could go on and on so I won't.

I agree with you _I like this software and it's potential. I've used MIDI since 1985 and have learned to dislike piano-roll type interfaces. As a player/performer I need to read the music and piano-roll reading obviously is hopeless for me and anyone else I want to read and play my music.
So, your points are well taken here. The developers have there own clock though so let's just hope they release some great improvemrents in the next version released.
As always thanks to Notion for there software and the hope for great things to come.

,Johnny

+1
IMO any classically-trained player would find piano-roll style very hard to read
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 am

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:IMO any classically-trained player would find piano-roll style very hard to read

Don't get me wrong I've used the piano-roll method with great success. It's hard to beat when full detail to editing
is needed. For years notation software's playback wasn't near realistic enough for me. With Notions Custom Rules it doesn't take much time to get consistent human playback.
With the piano-roll it was more like carving wood than composing music. A player piano (holes punched in paper) type of creation if you will. What you hear is what you get.
When all is said and done complex music's are much easier to read, follow and play along with when displayed in conventional music notation.
The Notion Sequencer Overlay feature if updated and improved will help quite a bit; however, the Custom Rules method IMO is much more consistent and quicker and easier to change the character of the playback.
Bottom line is for now I want to print and read(perform). I can if needed finish in the DAW world.

,Johnny

Johnny

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:47 am

Johnny wrote:
SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:IMO any classically-trained player would find piano-roll style very hard to read

Don't get me wrong I've used the piano-roll method with great success. It's hard to beat when full detail to editing
is needed. For years notation software's playback wasn't near realistic enough for me. With Notions Custom Rules it doesn't take much time to get consistent human playback.
With the piano-roll it was more like carving wood than composing music. A player piano (holes punched in paper) type of creation if you will. What you hear is what you get.
When all is said and done complex music's are much easier to read, follow and play along with when displayed in conventional music notation.
The Notion Sequencer Overlay feature if updated and improved will help quite a bit; however, the Custom Rules method IMO is much more consistent and quicker and easier to change the character of the playback.
Bottom line is for now I want to print and read(perform). I can if needed finish in the DAW world.

,Johnny

ok im not saying piano-roll is bad for editing
this is just...
i cant sight-read piano-roll
and its a lot easier to analyze a piece in notation style
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Return to NOTION