Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Two eighth notes = Dotted eighth sixteenth notation

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Two eighth notes = Dotted eighth sixteenth notation

Postby cameron.mcnaught » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 pm

I am trying to write some swing music where the top of sheet music shows the feel of the music. At the top, it says, using notes, "two eighth notes = dotted eighth-sixteenth feel". Is this possible in notion?
cameron.mcnaught

Re: Two eighth notes = Dotted eighth sixteenth notation

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:29 pm

cameron.mcnaught wrote:I am trying to write some swing music where the top of sheet music shows the feel of the music. At the top, it says, using notes, "two eighth notes = dotted eighth-sixteenth feel". Is this possible in notion?

You can do this, but you need to find a typeface or font (a) that provides the necessary notation and (b) that works correctly with the NOTION 4 Text field . . .

On the Mac, I used the "MusiSync" font (Robert Allgeyer) to do the following in a Text field in a NOTION 4 score based on the Jazz Combo template:

[NOTE: The red outlines are not part of the actual NOTION 4 scores . . . ]

Example #1

[NOTE: I am not familiar with the terminology you want to express with notes, so this is another possibility . . . ]

Example #2

MusiSync Font by Robert Allgeyer (FontSpace)

After doing a bit of research, this looks to be more accurate:

Shuffle Feel Example - 3:1 ratio - Hard Swing (Jazz style) ~ Bounce Metronome ~ YouTube

Hard Swing (Hard Shuffle) ~ Dotted Eighth + Sixteenth ~ 3:1 Ratio

Jazz Swing Types (Wikipedia)

THOUGHTS

There is a virtual festival of music typefaces available, and some are free while others need to be purchased . . .

Generally, the way it works is that you download the typeface (which might be called a "font") and then install it to the set of typefaces or fonts for your computer. On the Mac, this is done using the "Font Book" application that comes with Mac OS X . . .

If you are doing digital music production in the Windows universe, there is a similar application . . .

Once the typeface is installed, you need to determine whether NOTION 4 is able to use it in a Text field, and if it is, then there you are. Otherwise, if NOTION 4 cannot use it in Text field, then you need to try another typeface or font . . .

Also note that the way you input the "notes" probably will be different from the way the rendered notes look, where in the two examples (see above), this is what I actually entered:

Code: Select all
Example #1:  "e= i-s"

Example #2:  "e+ e= i-s"
. . .

If you want to append the word "feel", you can do this by using a second Text field placed to the right of the Text field with the notes, but in this context I think "feel" is a bit redundant . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby tjmarko » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 pm

For 2 eights=dotted eight sixteenth, I would just write "Shuffle".

For 2 eighths = quarter eighth triplet, I would write "Swing".

Tim
tjmarko

Postby Johnny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 pm

untitled.png
Swing indication
untitled.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 12251 times
I see your tempo marking example as an indicator of "Swing" style. The down beat eight note is longer than the second.
See the Notion 4 User Guide 10.30 and 10.31.
The "quickly prepared" attached Notion example file uses "Swing" with various settings in different measures as examples.
--------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Also, at the bottom of the attached example page very basic simple use of "Metric Modulation" is used. It's options and range of use are very!! limited in Notion 4. Not what you would expect.

It doesn't show a note value = a different note value as you may have seen in other printed music.

To aid in reading at slow tempo some composers have used the Notion 4 method to display tempo.
Users Guide 11.33_ shows how to change and use this feature. It's not capable of advanced metric modulation, yet this can be quite helpful.

,Johnny

:arrow:
Attachments
Swing eighths.notion
Swing Eights
(128.21 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
Last edited by Johnny on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:57 am

Johnny wrote:I see your tempo marking example as an indicator of "Swing" style. The down beat eight note is longer than the second.
See the Notion 4 User Guide 10.30 and 10.31.
The "quickly prepared" attached Notion example file uses "Swing" with various settings in different measures as examples.

Excellent! :)

This is new terminology for me, but the font aspect is easy, so I did a bit of guessing in my examples . . .

The MusiSync font has the correct notes, and when the font size is 22, it looks like this:

[NOTE: The tempo is the default tempo for the "Jazz Combo" template in NOTION 4 . . . ]

[NOTE: These are the characters in the NOTION 4 Text field that map to the MusiSync notes; and for reference the link to the website where the MusiSync font designed by Robert Allgeyer can be downloaded is in my first post . . . ]

Code: Select all
n = o

In your NOTION 4 examples, I like "Swing with a setting of 32" at the 90 BPM tempo, which I think works better than the 140 BPM tempo from the NOTION 4 Jazz Combo template; and it is a nice sketch for a song. I like the bass line, and I like the flute melody, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D

P. S. At 90 BPM, I describe it as "Jazz", since I use "Swing" for faster tempos, mostly Western Swing songs like "Big Beaver" (Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys) . . .

"Big Beaver" ((Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys) ~ ft. Tubby Lewis on trumpet ~ YouTube music video

Lots of FUN!
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION