Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Keyboard shortcut for moving to staff above or below.

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Keyboard shortcut for moving to staff above or below.

Postby fugubot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks in advance. Couldn't find this. I want to add parts between staffs and hate having to use the mouse.

: )
fugubot

Re: Keyboard shortcut for moving to staff above or below.

Postby Migot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:27 pm

User guide...

Have a look on -Score Setup-
Page 1.15

Alain
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Postby fugubot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Actually, i want a keyboard shortcut to move TO the staff above or below, not to move the staff itself. Its an editing function for note input, rather than a score setup issue.

When in editing mode (CTRL E), the up and down arrows do not move between staves. I'd prefer to stay on the keyboard instead of using the mouse. When working with multiple voices on the grand staff, it would really speed up my work flow if there is a keyboard shortcut to go up to the treble clef, add some notes, then jump down to the bass clef to add the lower parts. It would be really useful for working out counterpoint too. Thanks.
fugubot

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 pm

fugubot wrote:Actually, i want a keyboard shortcut to move TO the staff above or below, not to move the staff itself. Its an editing function for note input, rather than a score setup issue.

When in editing mode (CTRL E), the up and down arrows do not move between staves. I'd prefer to stay on the keyboard instead of using the mouse. When working with multiple voices on the grand staff, it would really speed up my work flow if there is a keyboard shortcut to go up to the treble clef, add some notes, then jump down to the bass clef to add the lower parts. It would be really useful for working out counterpoint too. Thanks.

On the Mac, you can use the "Mouse Keys" feature in "Accessibility" to control the mouse pointer with the numeric pad of your Apple Keyboard with Numeric Pad, noting that this is done with the numeric pad rather than the numbers on the alphanumeric section of the keyboard . . .

Mac OS X: Mouse Keys (TechEase)

You can adjust the speed and acceleration of the mouse pointer, and at faster and more rapid settings this works nicely for moving from one staff to another, but it is not the same has having a simple shortcut for moving up or down by one staff . . .

There is an option that makes it possible to activate or to deactivate Mouse Keys, and you can use the mouse when Mouse Keys is active . . .

If you are doing digital music production in the Windows universe, there probably is a similar accessibility feature in Windows . . .

THOUGHTS

There might other ways to do this, but this is the only one I was able to find . . .

On the Mac, it provides a way to reposition the mouse pointer; and it is independent of the standard "arrow" keys. It only moves the mouse pointer and emulates a "mouse single-click" when you press the "5" numeric pad key. It also will do a double-click when you press the "5" numeric pad key two times very quickly, and there is a parameter for setting the double-click recognition speed . . .

Mouse Keys is an interesting thing to explore, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby fugubot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I use windows but there's probably some parallel feature. I wouldn't have thought to look into this.

:mrgreen:
fugubot

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:14 am

fugubot wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I use windows but there's probably some parallel feature. I wouldn't have thought to look into this.

:mrgreen:

Glad to help!

I have been doing GUI software designing and engineering for several decades, more recently switching to Mac OS X over a decade ago for Mac OS X and iOS as soon as it was released; and accessibility is one of the aspects of graphic user interface (GUI) designing and programming; hence this is something I notice . . .

I am fortunate in having wide wrists, hence no carpal tunnel problems; but I have worked with people who were not able to use a mouse, at all, due to carpal tunnel pain; and there are alternatives to mice, some of which are programs from third-party vendors that are add-ons to the operating system, but in this instance i think Mouse Keys will provide a nice solution, albeit with a bit of practicing, since it requires learning some new skills . . .

Mouse Keys is not exactly what you wanted, but after experimenting with it for a while, I think it will work, since the potential for rapid note inputting is there . . .

The key is to get the various parameters set correctly (speed and acceleration). Generally, there are two styles, where one involves tapping repeatedly on the navigation keys and the other style involves holding the respective navigation key and releasing it when the mouse pointer is in the correct location, noting that there is an "area" or "region" for each staff, such that when the mouse pointer is in the area or region for a staff, pressing the "5" key on the numeric pad is that same as moving the mouse pointer to the staff and then doing a single click.

THOUGHTS

This can be a very nice way to input notes rapidly, since once you have the mouse pointer assigned to a specific duration note (for example, a quarter note), then as you move the mouse with the Mouse Keys navigation and press "5" to emulate a single-click, a quarter note is entered but the mouse pointer continues to be a quarter note, hence you can move the quarter note "mouse pointer" to a new location and then press the "5" numeric key to enter a quarter note at the new location . . .

And you can use the various keyboard shortcuts for note duration to change the mouse pointer note (for example, "e" to change it to an eighth note) . . .

Once you work with this input technique for a while I think it will map to very rapid note inputting . . .

I did some experiments, and it is very fast, but since I just discovered how to do this, it is a new set of skills for me, hence is not something I can do quickly; but based on a few experiments, I think this can be a way to input notes very quickly, where the left hand works the keys for note duration while the right hand works the numeric pad for the Mouse Keys navigation and click emulation . . .

I think this is worth devoting a bit of time to exploring how it works and how the various parameters affect speed and acceleration . . .

Another aspect of the overall strategy involves determining the best viewing size (zoom-in, zoom-out), which is another variable in the equation . . .

On the Mac, there is a "snap-to" thing that happens, and this moves the "mouse pointer" note vertically to the next available position on a staff, depending on which navigation key is tapped ("up" or "down" ["8" or "9" respectively]) . . .

MOUSE KEYS FOR WINDOWS 7

There is a Mouse Keys for Windows 7, and it is explained in detail at the following link:

Windows 7: Mouse Keys (TechEase)

For this to be practical, you need a keyboard with a numeric pad . . .

Lots of FUN! :D
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION